We all know that life can get crazy. In a time when multitasking is the norm, we often find ourselves doing many things and not thinking twice. However, there are times when all of our obligations can become a bit much. Between work, school, family, activities, and hobbies, one can easily become overwhelmed. Mix that with life’s drama and curve balls and things can become quite difficult. Check out the strategies below to gain more control of your life during these times.
1. Take deep breaths– The quickest way to get on track is through deep breathing. Taking a moment to be present or taking time to meditate usually leaves one feeling more relaxed and focused. It also allows us to slow our thoughts and gain clarity.
2. Make a to-do list- Often, just the thought of what needs to be done becomes too much. All of our obligations have a tendency to play in our mind like a song on repeat. This inevitably makes things worse. Writing down our duties, schedules, and goals allows us to see them as they really are. It also provides us with the ability to scratch each task off the list after completion.
3. Enlist the help of family and friends- We are not designed to do everything by ourselves. Many of us feel most comfortable handling things alone instead of reaching out and asking for help. Our support systems may vary in size and availability, but there are people that are willing and ready to lend a hand when asked.
4. Speak to someone– Feeling overwhelmed can often leave us drained and tired. In some cases, we may become depressed. If we are unable to manage these emotions, it may be beneficial to speak to a friend, family member, clergy, support group, therapist, or life coach. Another person can provide insight and guidance that we may have difficulty seeing.
5. Create a routine and schedule– Moving quickly and taking each day as it comes can often leave us feeling as though we have not accomplished much. Be intentional in your movement. With your to-do list as your guide, create a schedule that will help you tackle tasks each day.
Courtney Bell is passionate about helping people achieve their goals. She is a Life Coach, Professor, and Blogger with over ten years of experience creating strategies for adults and students to live thelives they desire. Courtney currently lives in Chicago. Like her Facebook page – Courtney Bell Coaches and follow her on Twitter and Instagram at @cbellcoaches.