There’s a new warning out regarding e-cigarettes after a man was critically injured. Cordero Caples, 29, was taking a break at work and went outside to vape when his e-cigarette exploded in Colorado Springs, Colorado. The explosion broke his neck, burned his mouth and knocked out teeth. He was rushed to the hospital and underwent spinal reconstruction surgery.
Caples is a college student and a father of a 1-year-old child and had dreams of becoming a fitness trainer. Now, all of this may not be possible because of the explosion. According to the federal government, there have been a significant number of accidents that have occurred with e-cigarettes, also called vapes, due to battery explosions. A 2014 government report states, “The event occurs suddenly and is accompanied by a loud noise, a flash of light, smoke, flames, and often vigorous ejection of the battery and other parts.”
The use of e-cigarettes has been on the rise as more people choose to “vape” rather than smoke tobacco. Instead of smoke, steam is produced and the products can include nicotine or flavored liquids. The phrase “Do you mind if I vape” is now common among many young users of the product. The federal government has recommended that “E-cigarette manufacturers should consider changing to a different style of electrical connection. The inclusion of protection circuits into the e-cigarette device would improve battery safety.”
For now, Caples is recovering and his family has started a GoFundMe page to cover his medical costs and rehabilitation. The Chinese company that made the product has stated on its website that its devices are made with “highest quality standards.”
(Photo Credit: E-cigarette/Vape (Photo Source: GoFundMe- Cordero Caples))