Music » La’Porsha Renae in hot water with LGBT community

La’Porsha Renae in hot water with LGBT community

Photo Credit: La'Porsha Renae's Instagram (@laporsharenae)

Photo credit: Instagram – @laporsharenae

Singer La’Porsha Renae has been a fan favorite among reality TV fans ever since she first stepped foot onto the “American Idol” stage and blew audiences away with her amazing voice. However, the beloved vocalist upset one of her biggest group of supporters, the LGBT community, this weekend when she commented that she doesn’t agree with the LGBT “lifestyle.”

According to media reports, Renae, who finished as a runner-up on the final season of “AI,” made the controversial comment in a recent interview when she was asked about her home state of Mississippi recently passing the infamous “Religious Liberty” bill 1523, which will allow businesses, individuals, and religiously affiliated organizations to deny service to LGBT people, as well as any other group, that manages to offend their “sincerely held religious belief.”

“This is how I feel about the LGBT community: They are people just like us. They’re not animals as someone stated before. They’re people with feelings. Although all of us may not agree with that particular lifestyle for religious reasons, whatever the reason is, you still treat each other with respect. Everybody is a human being. We should be able to coexist with one another,” Renae said.

She added, “I am one of the people who don’t really agree with that lifestyle. I wasn’t brought up that way. It wasn’t how I was raised. But I do have a lot of friends and a lot of people that I love dearly who are gay and homosexual and they’re such sweet, nice people. We should just respect each other’s differences and opinions and move on.”

Not surprisingly, LGBT fans across the Internet were outraged and proceeded to blast Renae online for her comments.

However, the singer decided to defend herself and say that she wants people to respect and love one another.

La'Porsha Renae - LGBT Twitter Response

With the controversy still growing, Renae did a Periscope video yesterday and decided to apologize to her fans, saying that her words were “twisted up” in her initial interview.

“I tried to be as open and honest and neutral as possible, but that’s the way interviews go. Sometimes when you do interviews, it gets twisted up,” she later said. “I can understand when I read it back why people were offended, and for that I deeply apologize. I wasn’t trying to offend anyone. I was just trying to honestly answer a question that caught me off guard. It was supposed to be an interview about singing, and it became political and I’m not a political person at all.”

What do you think of Renae’s comments? Let us know in the comments section.

1. Guest on April 11, 2016 at 9:03 am

Oh well, career over before it got started. She didn’t even say anything hateful but you can’t say anything besides” I support them 100%.” Somebody should have told her.

• Chuck on April 11, 2016 at 10:23 am

Sad, but true.

• YouMustLearn on April 12, 2016 at 8:03 pm

I don’t and she’s is right.. I will buy her song on ITunes…

• YouMustLearn on April 12, 2016 at 8:03 pm

She didn’t say anything that was offensive. She spoke her truth. She clearly said no matter what the differences… Disgusting lifestyle… completely

• atlsongbyrd on April 17, 2016 at 2:04 am

Exactly!

2. vwlover on April 11, 2016 at 10:27 am

I feel like she’s back pedaling.

3. hidaya on April 11, 2016 at 10:27 am

You’re right. I wish she had a personal publicist who had schooled her on how to ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS say “NO COMMENT.”

ALWAYS!

Stick to singing, not politics!

4. raysorbladeczar on April 11, 2016 at 10:42 am

Poor ting ting…it was the LGBT community that was going to support, “yassss God hunny”, drag queen her look and everything! It’s a shame we (society) can’t agree to disagree and keep it moving. She spoke truth from her perspective and I don’t think she should be penalized…

5. Francine Massdin on April 11, 2016 at 10:47 am

Why ask someone a question and get mad because you do not agree with the answer?

6. mrhowell2002 on April 11, 2016 at 10:51 am

She ain’t lying!!! If you don’t “agree” with someone’s lifestyle you shouldn’t b crucified for it… #merikkka

7. Rachel on April 11, 2016 at 12:15 pm

Why are ppl bashed and discriminated against if they don’t agree with homosexuality? That’s the very thing the LGBT community accuse others of doing to them yet they bash every thing and body that disagrees with them. Have your view and respect other’s. We love you the same…we only have a different opinion. #ReverseDiscrimination is not fair.

• vwlover on April 11, 2016 at 12:25 pm

Exactly. I don’t understand that. If she had said that they were mentally ill, disgusting, going to hell, etc then I could understand the outrage.

8. Louise Ford on April 11, 2016 at 12:44 pm

She didn’t say anything that was offensive. She spoke her truth. She clearly said no matter what the differences, we should still should treat each other with respect. We can all agree to disagree but with respect. People need to read with understanding and not with a negative mind.

9. Sherri Etienne on April 11, 2016 at 12:47 pm

Wow! What did she say that was wrong or offensive for that matter? Based on her bible upbringing she simply disagrees, and? So do a kabillion other non pubic people in this world which is why the Religious Liberty bill 1523 was not only created, but passed in several states.

Like liver and beets baby, sure they exist but not everyone likes them so I’m not understanding what’s so wrong here other than some overly emotional people looking for some media attention. Get your panties out a bunch and focus on fighting these state laws that legally have the right to discriminate against you, not someone who respects your freedom of expression, but also respects her lord and savior who clearly stated your behavior is a sin. Just sounds to me like she chooses her heaven above as opposed to the hell here on earth and if you’re offended by that, then your battles have only just begun.

And for the record, my uncle and very best friend in the whole world was gay and died from the old school AIDS that totally destroyed the body. I love him and miss him like crazy. Everyday I wish he was alive because it’s a good time to be gay in the USA. Did I agree with his lifestyle? No. But I totally respected his position and was happy as long as he was happy. And I’m sure there are more people like myself (non-religious, heterosexuals) who disagree, than there are those who actually accept, fully embrace, who are just flat out cool with the culture, but are too afraid to say it because in today’s society it’s practically a sin to publicly disagree, not hate or bash, but say, if they like it ok, but I can’t get with it. And that applies to everything. And it’s really sad…

10. KP on April 11, 2016 at 1:34 pm

My parents don’t agree but they still love and respect me — what am I missing?

11. britishrose on April 11, 2016 at 3:48 pm

she needs good public relations to groom her on her interviews its too soon for media to be shoving statements in this young woman face about harsh twisted beliefs .. everyone dont believe in santa clause but you respect the ones who celebrate him ok and the easter bunny too ? gay lesbian is a lifestyle that is no accepted ,, but that new law in missiissippi makes it clear . they are not accepting them everywhere .. . .. personally i agree with her statement . .dont harm a gay person let them live they gotta answer to god just like the rest of us , you cant change people from whatthey have become

12. britishrose on April 11, 2016 at 3:50 pm

LAPORSHA LOOK JUST LIKE A NIGERIAN WOMAN . I DONT KNOW IT THAT IS GOOD OR BAD . they are so prejudice against african americans they really just hate us .. but she look very much like them

• vwlover on April 11, 2016 at 4:09 pm

Wow, that was very ignorant and what does that have to do with the article?

• cupcake333 on April 11, 2016 at 6:21 pm

i dont have to stick to the article if i want to point out something … i know how nigerians think .im sure she was born over in america but she oviously been mistaken for african a lot because of her eyes and weight she built like african females are comfortable with .. im sure there is someone who thinks here size is not acceptable where they grew up !! so she certainly can not judge .. america has had a epidemic with fat in all races here , the food choice laporsha make is not acceptable to some either , when they showed her going back home to her parade .. she was chowing down on southern food mississippi is the fattest state in the union okkkkkk with the risk of diabetes high HOW DO YOU KNOW HER IMAGE DIDNT CAUSE HER TO LOSE THE WINNING !!! AND IDOL REPRESENT YOUNG PEOPLE TRYING TO BETTER YOURSELF SO HOW IS OVEREATING GONNA MAKE HER A ROLE MODEL… . 2ND RUNNER UP WAS OK CAUSE NOW SHE KNOW ITS GONNA TAKE LOSING ALL THAT WEIGHT AND GETTING IN SHAPE TO BE MARKET .. .. RECORD SALES GO YOU GOTTA BE A PACKAGE LOOK WHAT HAPPEN TO JENIFER HUDSON SHE IS WAY SMALLER . .ONCE SHE LOST THAT WEIGHT SHE MADE HITSS

• LA on April 12, 2016 at 9:54 am

Lol, I had a feeling cupcake and British rose were the same person.. Ha, smh..

• daffy on April 14, 2016 at 9:03 pm

LOL… BUSTED…. DAMNNNNNNN CUPCAKE YOU AND YOUR SPLIT PERSONALLY(BRITISH ROSE) JUST GOT ALLLL THE WAY BUSTED.. GO GET YOUR MEDS. GURLLLL… LOL..LOL.

• YouMustLearn on April 12, 2016 at 8:08 pm

See your stereotype… Africa has the most beautiful Black women on the planet.. and they come in all kinds of sizes and complexions…. Please read and educate yourself… No disrespect to my beautiful black queens here… but its the truth…. sooooo much self hate and ignorance

• YouMustLearn on April 12, 2016 at 8:05 pm

Nooooo you are wrong having lived in Nigeria for many many years… I can’t tell you haven’t been anywhere but home… Simply not true.. and my wife is Nigerian… hahahahaha

13. Jacqueline Perkins on April 11, 2016 at 4:58 pm

How dare you too be upset because she had an opinion on the LGBT guess what most people do your to sensitive to think every is suppose to be okay

14. RedLocks on April 12, 2016 at 12:04 pm

I agree with Renae, they are people just like us and they have feelings. But, sometimes their feelings can be just that. At some point the LGBT community has to stop carrying their feelings on their fingertips and realize that everybody is NOT going to except them for WHO they are. As a form of retaliation they try and block someone’s blessings by using the same HATE that they accuse others of using against them. We all have hurdles to jump and people having reservations about you is the MAIN one.

15. BluePaix on April 12, 2016 at 9:29 pm

Just sing La’Porsha, just sing. That’s all you know anything about from here on out. Get it?
    Just a little advice. I do think she made a mistake, I don’t think she’s a bad person,
    maybe just a bit of a newbee in a big new world. I accept her apology.

16. mreynolds on April 13, 2016 at 11:31 pm

I am gay. I of course am not speaking for the whole community…. in my opinion, she said nothing wrong or disrespectful. Some people really need to just get a grip and quit being so insensitive.

17. K-100 INTERNET RADIO on April 14, 2016 at 5:51 pm

So sick of Gay people crying and whining just because people dont agree with their CHOSEN LIFESTYLE Shut the fuck up already… she has a right NOT to agree with that GET OVER IT

• Peter Piper ATL on April 16, 2016 at 6:21 am

OK and so who are you to judge? I probably don’t have to point out how ignorant you sound, but you do so I will.

What scientific proof do YOU have that gay is a “chosen lifestyle”? Did you, perhaps, choose to participate and it ended up not being what you thought it would be or something?

• BLIZM | K-100 Radio on April 16, 2016 at 6:34 am

So, you start your ignorant response asking me who am I to judge, when thats exactly what these LGBT people doing to this woman. And I’m supposed to take this dumb ass comment serious. First thing you LGBT lovers do is acuse someone of being closet gay when they call out your hypocrisy. How bout fuck you and that shit you talking.

18. Peter Piper ATL on April 16, 2016 at 6:32 am

She over-answered the damn question, and what’s worse, she was trying to tell people not to judge–then went ahead and placed judgment herself. LOL. Ridiculous. And typical. This is why its important to make yourself aware of the world around you. Just because you think something is a choice doesn’t make it so. And what you think you know, you really don’t.

Truth be told, the only people who have an issue with gays these days are over-zealous religious hypocrites and down low men. Both are losing the argument.

• Harriet Peterson on April 18, 2016 at 11:17 pm

I’m not on my computer,because I really would take time and speak on the subject of these over-zealous religious hypocrites, that’s one reason the Black Race and other uneducated people of all Races are confused and economically poor. I wish sister LaPorsha continued Good Health with much deserved Happiness, most of all God’s Blessing.

19. Morgan Danielle on May 2, 2016 at 8:24 am

As a black woman I’m okay with her disagreeing with the lifestyles of the LGBT community.

I’m not that sensitive. I think our community must grow thicker skin and be okay with others not agreeing with it. You can not like or support those who disagree, but to disrespect her and be all outraged is a bit much.

Let it go. She has her feelings I have mine. Nobodys right or wrong she isn’t trying to oppose or change me.

20. Word of God on June 19, 2016 at 1:48 am

LA porsha you do not have to apologize for nothing you said you said absolutely nothing wrong , I am so tired of this hole watch what you say about homosexuals crap it is a dame shame . She told the truth and damit!! That’s what it is . There was nothing she said that was offensive . She has the rite to give her position or homosexuality.