Queen Latifah gets real about police brutality, Dallas shooting

Photo Credit: Queen Latifah's Instagram (@queenlatifah)

Photo credit: Instagram – @queenlatifah

All week long, celebrities have been voicing their opinions about the horrible and violent murders of two Black men, Alton Sterling and Philando Castile, who were shot dead by police while their deaths were filmed on camera. With these two tragedies charging America’s growing national conversation on police brutality and white supremacy, many hip-hop stars have had a lot to say about the issue. Now, hip-hop and Hollywood legend Queen Latifah has recently added her thoughts to the conversation and she is taking police and our justice system to task for their role in the continued violence sweeping the nation.

According to media reports, Latifah recently spoke about the shooting deaths of Sterling and Castile in a recent interview and she explained that, like all Black people, she’s felt the heaviness of their deaths all week.

“I’m almost at a loss for words,” Latifah said, explaining that she’s been carrying the weight of their deaths while working on the new Ice Age film. “This goes wherever I go. I’m Queen Latifah, but I’m Black wherever I go. I deal with the same experiences that other people deal with.”

Latifah, who comes from a family of police officers, then offered up her sorrow over the senseless killing of four police officers by sniper Micah Xavier Johnson in Dallas this week.

“I deal with the same experiences that other people deal with. I’m also the daughter of a cop, I’m also the sister of a cop, the cousin of a cop and the niece of cops. I don’t want the guns turned on police any more than I want the guns turned on us,” she said.

“I don’t want my father or my brother getting shot because some bad cops are doing this, consistently,” she added.

However, Latifah then gave an honest critique on police brutality and explained that bad police officers need to be held accountable for their crimes in order to show the Black community that their lives matter and that justice can be served for them as well.

“It’s time to make an example out of someone, as far as I’m concerned, who is a police officer,” Latifah said. “Because there’s no way all of these things could happen and there’s no guilty police officers [involved]. Every time these things happen, no one is really brought to justice at the end of the day. By the time it’s all said and done, the police officers usually walk. And what it does is leave us feeling empty, feeling hurt and feeling like we have no recompense and that it’s going to happen again.

“And what it also does is endanger the [lives] of police officers. You make all these good cops have to walk out here dealing with bad cops’ BS, dealing with the stuff bad cops are doing.”

What do you think of Latifah’s thoughts? Let us know in the comments.

1. Marco on July 9, 2016 at 3:33 pm

My only thought is yes, the bad cops need to face the music. But at the same time, since Obama has taken office there have been 3400 gun violence deaths in his hometown of Chicago. 82% of that is black on black. Why doesn’t anyone ever, ever care abt it. I’ll tell u. Because it doesn’t fit neatly in anyone’s political agenda maybee??
    Or there’s no evil white people to blame. I’ve also seen several videos of black cops killing black men who just stepped out of their cars. Then u never read another word abt it. Again, not excusing trigger happy cops of any color here. But I have a friend who happens to b a black cop. He said to me once, the dirty little secret is that he, along w/ other black cops always take extra precautions when pulling over vehicles w/ black drivers. Now, why do u suppose that is ?

• Guest25 on July 10, 2016 at 2:27 am

You sound angry and racist!

• Marco on July 10, 2016 at 12:32 pm

People who throw around that racist term usually have no real logical comeback, which is why any white person who wud ever have a diff opinion wud b called that. My black friends know better. Some even thnk like me. I’m sure u wud just call them Uncle Tom or something.

• cupcake333 on July 10, 2016 at 10:50 am

forget crimes statistics ok…. murder is everywhere white lady in texas kills both her girls like a bandit shooting them like a snipper but did black people harp on that> was that a national gun violent issue ? black folk dont kill their children execution style NOW THAT MURDER LIKE THE BLACK KILLING AROUND AMERICA IS DUE TO NO JOB AND PURE EVIL we cant be freeakin on ever black crime .. these polce killings are more important to end cause cop got power and prestige privlege with that gun no one need to be scared of police were paying them to serve and protect not murder at will .. black cop aint killing no one WHY .. THEY BETTER START RECRUITING FROM BLACK COLLEGES AND UPPING THAT PAY SCALE TO GET THEM TO SIGN ON

2. cupcake333 on July 10, 2016 at 10:40 am

quee is right it the bad one we want out and thje way to do it is screen real good we need to stop accepting the metheod of hirin cops every job got bad employees but police department can not afford bad employees it the only job in america that has no room for era, lives are lost everytime a cop is hired knowing he has mental issues i dont care if its depressiion ptsd or narcassim it risky to keep them on staff alton sterlin didnt have to die like adog in the street scared NOT KNOWING IF HE WILL SEE HIS FAMILY AGAIN HE WAS SCARED IMAGINE YOURSELF LYIN THERE SHOT BLOOD DRIPPIN? it no game yall .. these brother were horribly slaughtered just like mike brown ,, and emmitt till all over again 70 year since emmitt till killing now we still being killed justice deparrtment has blood on it doors ..we feel helpless cause we know we been victimized through these murders .

obama laughin on jimmy fallon show joking one day after 5 cop killed . i quest that would be funny …

i feel for the cops in dallas families .. but it seem like pay back is not a answer im sure white are listen now to us .. no justice no peace rings louder WHEN THEY COP LAYING DEAD IN THE DAM STREETS WERE AT WAR THE WHOLE WORLD SEES AMERICA DIRTY DEEDS and i bet you around the world those cop got less sympathy due to it rare cop are killed …anger is what i feel , i didnt feel relief see cop gunned down i felt sadder it had to come to this anger and pity ..god has a plann
    everything happens to heal and stregth my heart is heavy daily it feels like a bad dream… we need law to change NOW DAMMIT RIGHT NOW!!! one morre black man killed like this is gonna sink america like the titanic rip all of these me and cops to

3. Julia Caldwell on July 10, 2016 at 12:03 pm

I most definitely feel the same as Queen Latifah. All of us are dealing with recent events of the police officers and the young men killed. However, if we see police continuing to stand against us and not for us, what are we to think. We have the right to protest, some say, but we look and the police are still standing against us for protesting. Until and when the police stand with us against the “bad” officers who are fearful and kill without regard to our humanness, this will continue. If the police do not stand for us, then they obviously stand for what’s occurring again and again, death of our children in the street without consequence.

• Linda Dunaway Taylor on July 11, 2016 at 12:23 pm

They took the bullets for your protestors in Dallas didn’t they? Do you not see the irony in that? They were protecting the protestors protesting against them, and five died because of it. The protestors ran away from the gunfire, the cops ran toward it.

• Gervonna on July 12, 2016 at 1:23 am

Ms. Taylor – Its unfortunate to read “your protestors” in your statement. I thought they were our protestors; protestors apart of humanity. This is the problem. We, humanity, are more than our racial identities. You and I are similar in that we share the culture of womanhood. Therefore, as equally as we are different, we are the same. Furthermore, you are severely mistaken… the protestors were not protesting against the police officers that protected them. They were protesting for fair and just recognition and treatment of Black lives by law enforcement. Police officers who honor this ethical code, should be apart of the movement. Police brutality is real! It is not an illusion. Criminal or no criminal, black or white, a police officer’s intention should be to save human life, not terminate it. So as much as we, humanity, should celebrate the heroism and mourn the losses of the Dallas officers, we, humanity, should condemn violence by ANYONE (including police) and mourn the deaths of the fallen Black men, because guess what… they were of the human race and I believe that is a race you are apart of as well, which makes them your people too. I send love to you.

• Dallasite on July 12, 2016 at 11:40 am

Wow This is the most eloquent yet truthful statement I have seen to date in light of the recent tragedies. It speaks to freedom of speech for all races specifically the human race. I live and work in downtown Dallas so it has personally affected me; however, being a black woman I am as equally affected by the senseless loss of black males in the last week in other cities (pray). See how that works? I have pain for all who lost their lives because of the actions of a few.. That is what the “movement” and protesters are attempting to convey. All lives matter we just want the same outrage as being demonstrated for the slain officers (pray) as what happened to those black males who lost their lives. Equality and those responsible being held accountable is the message. IWe love, not hate.

4. Melvin Woods on July 11, 2016 at 1:21 pm

That’s nothing but the truth anyhow sister