The death of ’80’s pop star George Michael has left his fans around the world in shock. The singer’s body was found by his boyfriend Fadi Fawaz, a celebrity hairdresser. Fawaz recently described the discovery of Michael’s body to media. He stated, “We were supposed to be going for Christmas lunch. I went round there to wake him up and he was just gone, lying peacefully in bed. We don’t know what happened yet. Everything had been very complicated recently, but George was looking forward to Christmas, and so was I. Now everything is ruined. I want people to remember him the way he was – he was a beautiful person.”
But there is another aspect to his death that is now being revealed. Unnamed sources close to the singer have stated that he had been battling a heroin addiction that was quickly spiraling out of control. The singer reportedly overdosed on one occasion. The source stated to media, “He’s been rushed to A&E [British Accident & Emergency department of a hospital] on several occasions. He used heroin. I think it’s amazing he’s lasted as long as he has.”
In late 2014, it was rumored that Michael had entered an exclusive rehab facility in Switzerland for an addiction to crack cocaine. Recent pictures of Michael showed him a shadow of his former glory days, sporting a pot belly and hanging out at local pubs in the small town in which he lived. For a number of years, the singer suffered from severe depression that arose from the death of his longtime lover Anselmo Feleppa to AIDS. Michael gave generously to AIDS organizations as well as secretly to individuals in need.
No autopsy results have been released yet but death from cardiac arrest is a known cause of death for many longtime heroin users.