Skip to content

Pastor accused of raping his teen daughter for years after his wife died

Matthew Gibson, accused of raping his 14-year-old daughter after his wife died (Image source: Facebook/Pastor Matthew Gibson)

A young girl’s nightmare is over and her father is in jail, charged with sexually abusing her in Brooklyn, New York.

The New York Police Department has announced the arrest of Matthew Gibson, a pastor at Progressive Baptist Church of Brownsville. Gibson is the son of Bishop Ben Gibson, who is head of the church. The children were supposed to be supervised by their grandfather during visitations, but he apparently failed to do so.

According to WPIX-News, the unidentified victim told Myia Maples, the minor’s sister-in-law, that since the death of her mother six years ago, her father had been molesting her during visitations. The abuse reportedly occurred primarily at the church while the girl’s twin brother was present but unaware that it was happening because his father had given him tasks to do elsewhere in the large building.

Gibson’s children have been under the custody of Maples for the past seven years, and she said that the victim blurted out her story during an emotional breakdown. The children were supposed to be supervised by their grandfather during visitations,  who failed to do so.

When news of the arrest spread, Gibson’s own mother told members of the news media that her son “should rot in hell” for molesting her granddaughter. The family said they had been trying for years to have the court end his visitation, complaining that he was verbally and physically abusive to his children.

Gibson, 44, was arrested on Jan. 10, 2019, and charged with criminal sexual abuse and forcible touching of a female victim between 9 and 14 years old.

The family also said there have been other allegations that children have been sexually abused at the church and the system has failed the community.

Maples protested with others in the community this past Sunday, demanding that the church be closed. Gibson is currently being held on a $10,000 bail, which Maples and other family members say is too low.