BET refuses to let blogger B. Scott wear heels at BET Awards, Twitter reacts

B. Scott - BET Awards Look

Every awards show has its controversies. Although most BET Award controversies involve feuding emcees or performance fails, this time around the controversy surrounded up-and-coming blogger B. Scott, who was forced to change his outfit by BET before hosting the red carpet pre-show at the 2013 BET Awards.

As fans of B. Scott already know, Scott is openly gay and is known for his extraordinary androgynous style.

However, BET must have missed the memo on Scott’s fashion because, according to Scott, BET refused to allow him to wear heels on camera. Scott, who was initially excited for his first BET Awards hosting gig, was noticeably down when he appeared on camera for the pre-show. Afterwards, Scott took to Twitter to reveal that his sullen attitude was caused by BET forcing him to change his outfit.

“Only God knows what I went through today and it’s going to stay that way,” tweeted Scott.

“let me just say this…” he added, along with an emotional Instagram video

Scott later confirmed the rumors to fellow blogger Miss Jia and explained that he was hurt that BET made him tone down his androgynous look.

“I wasn’t going to say anything but my spirit is truly hurt,” tweeted Scott, adding, “I’m sorry if I let anybody down today, I tried my best and it wasn’t enough.”

Scott also thanked K. Michelle, Nicole Ari Parker, Boris Kodjoe and his good friend, Mariah Carey, for consoling him during the show.

BET has yet to release a statement about their reasons for making Scott change his look but the incident is, understandably, coming off as homophobic and effemiphobic. Scott is an androgynous, gay man whose style has inspired fans for years. He represents a segment of BET’s fan base that no doubt would have loved to see Scott looking and feeling proud as he represented his true self, androgynous style and all. It’s a shame that BET, who touts there awards show as an event where “anything can happen,” decided to stifle Scott.

Fans weren’t the only ones angered by the controversy. Check out what some other celebs and  bloggers had to say about the incident below. – nicholas robinson

www.facebook.com/NicholasHarborOfficial

www.twitter.com/Nicholas_Harbor

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

1. Notya Biznes on July 1, 2013 at 9:02 am

Does Rolling Out understand the meaning of the word ‘androgynous’? I DEFINITELY wouldn’t say that high heels, arched eybrows, makeup, and lipstick are ‘androgynous’ at all.
    BTW, it means “neither specifically feminine nor masculine”… B Scott was CLEARLY going for a feminist representation.

• @Krysfree on July 1, 2013 at 12:19 pm

It appears that you don’t “understand the meaning of the word ‘androgynous’.”

• Sherri Etienne on July 1, 2013 at 12:34 pm

an·drog·y·nous
        [ an drójjənəss ]

1. blending masculine and feminine: neither male nor female in appearance but having both conventional masculine and feminine traits and giving an impression of ambiguous sexual identity
        2. hermaphrodite: having both male and female physical characteristics

If the picture above is what he looked liked at the awards, androgyny was clearly lost here… Female was definitely the more dominate sex and his look came off more as an”drag”ynous! My problem is BET should have doen their homework ahead of time so they’d know more about his character prior the show. At least then he would’ve been well aware of his could’s and could nots. I blame BET!

• Ron on July 1, 2013 at 1:01 pm

No he IS androgynous yes he has on the lipstick and makeup but it looks as though he is wearing a mens tuxedo jacket. I think he embodies androgyny in that he is CLEARLY a man (adams apple, no breast etc…) but has features like the long hair and face that make him look feminine THAT is the BLENDING of the two genders that he does naturally you KNOW he isn’t a woman because we know his story but to the untrained eye he could definitely leave someone wondering as to what he was which is the ambiguity of his look………..we may have to just agree to disagree on this one.

• Panda on July 4, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Untrained eye? Well to my eye he sure looked like a woman. I dont see any blending there. If there is, than he sure is trying to mask that “blending” hard. Not androgynous at all.

• Notya Biznes on July 1, 2013 at 1:45 pm

@914a12fd37647dd71fd1cd2d5af958b7:disqus > yep, picked up that little ditty that says “neither specifically feminine nor masculine” (PRO-NOUN) right from one of those newfangled books called a dictionary. I know exactly what it means. It wasn’t used correctly in this context.

• WeAlwaysBehind on July 1, 2013 at 4:01 pm

B Scott was asked to be B Scott.

• sogucited on July 1, 2013 at 1:53 pm

while we’re talking about definitions, “feminist” is not the same thing as “feminine.”

• Notya Biznes on July 1, 2013 at 3:11 pm

you are right. FEMININE. Still not androgynous.

2. Yup, I said it on July 1, 2013 at 1:41 pm

yall mothafuckaz are fucked up and so is BET and with their bass ackwards asses