Sheryl Underwood blasts natural hair, Twitter reacts

Sheryl1

Sheryl Underwood’s natural hair diss

Sheryl Underwood of CBS’ “The Talk” recently commented about natural hair types during a segment about Heidi Klum. Co-host Sharon Osbourne was noting that Klum, who has biracial children from singer Seal, saves her son’s hair after they get haircuts. According to Klum her sons have “huge Afros” that she apparently can’t seem to part with.

By contrast a clearly perplexed Underwood wondered aloud why the Victoria’s Secret model would want to keep “nappy” hair.

sheryl-underwood-wigs-dressing-room-600x337

“Why would you save Afro hair?” said Underwood. “You don’t never see us at the hair shop saying, ‘Look what I need is curly, beady, nappy hair. It just seems nasty,” she added.

And when her co-host Sarah Gilbert, a white woman, added that she too has saved her child’s hair, Underwood interjected and noted that their hair was probably “some beautiful long, silky stuff.”

Underwood’s disturbing comments have caused a firestorm on Twitter among black women who feel personally offended, and rightfully so. To put down one’s own race in front of a public audience is shameful. Also shameful, co-host Aisha Tyler’s non-reaction. The only other black co-host on the show laughed along and remained silent. She too is being blasted online.

Underwood has since responded and is trying her best to do damage control. See what Underwood had to say about her black hair diss below. -danielle canada

Pages: 1 2

1. Notya Biznes on September 3, 2013 at 7:46 am

Wow… I’m offended as well! What a self-hating statement to make! On national TV at that! Black women have all kinds of issues with our hair, and I’m loving the new acceptance of our hair from ourselves! We are sloughing off the lies that our hair is inferior, ugly, or nasty! Black women are going back to their natural state now more than ever! And it’s beautiful, in all our crowning glory! For shame, Sheryl Underwood! For shame!!

• Zelda Jackson on September 3, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Conversation started August 14

8:05pm

Zelda Jackson

I thought I would share my opinion to you on how I felt about your jokes and comments today. You may not realize, or intended the jokes and statements to be insensitve but it was truly that to me.

I hope you take my comments sincerely, and get a better understanding on how hurtful they were. This a the letter that I posted on my FB pg after I saw the show. I am sending it to you to show you how disturbing your jokes and statements were to me.

I just heard the most disturbing joke today, and I wanted to make it very CLEAR it was not funny. I found this joke very insulting and a put down. Today on ‘The Talk’ Sheryl Underwood made a comment concerning Heidi Klum’s statement on her saving everything from her sons with former husband Seal…Ms. Klum stated, “She even saves their hair after a haircut in a zip lock plastic bag.” Then Ms. Underwood goes on to joke, “Why would anyone want to save hair from an afro?” Who wants nappy, peasy hair?” “Ain’t nobody wants to buy that!” So the other hosts, each stated they have saved their children’s hair….Ms Underwood continues to state, “Yeah, because that silky, pretty hair.” “Nobody wants to save no afro.” “What you gonna go to a store, and ask to let me see/buy a nappy afro?” Ms. Underwood stated, “That’s why she looks good!” “It’s the power of makeup and wigs.”
      Clearly, these jokes and statements from Sheryl Underwood are coming from a very sad & lost place within her…. Otherwise she would know our hair is beautiful. I do not know her, but someone must have made negative comments concerning Ms. Underwood’s hair for her to make a joke on national TV such as she did. I hope and pray that no child who wears their hair in the natural state that GOD have given them places any truth to what Ms. Underwood has joked & stated today.
      We are of KINGS and QUEENS ancestry, and we should not fall down to think we are not attractive, because our hair is different than European and Asian descendants.
      GOD did not make any mistakes with his people. The Black Woman is the Mother of the World. Every person comes from the Black Woman… Every human being has the Black Woman’s DNA…. This is a Fact that has been hidden for centuries.
      We ARE BEAUTIFUL with our NATURAL HAIR as GOD made us!!!!
      I Thank GOD for Blessing Me with a Full Head of Beautiful Healthy Hair. I thank God for given me the foresight in discovering my true beauty, and removing all the negative people out of my life who do not find my beauty Beautiful in today’s brainwashed society.
      I share my thought of natural beauty, and do not condemn anyone who does not see it that way. I do not call your beauty ugly, or joke on your growth pattern.
      This indeed is my spiritual growth and I celebrate it whole heartily everyday that GOD blesses me with life.
      Your Cousin & Dear Friend,
      Zelda

Choose an emoticon

2. openmind101 on September 3, 2013 at 12:48 pm

What a fool. I wear my hair natural and trust me there is nothing “nasty” about it. She needs to take that weave off her head and look in the mirror, maybe she needs a reminder of how God created HER.

3. lennice on September 3, 2013 at 12:56 pm

What an ignorant imbecile. Anything for a laugh! Even if it means denigrating and demeaning yourself. What kind of hair does she have under those wigs and extensions!

4. jd on September 3, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Damn

5. Tiffany on September 3, 2013 at 2:52 pm

I remember seeing this episode a couple of weeks ago and I was immediately stunned and disgusted. Sadly, it wasn’t the first time Sheryl Underwood has made a complete clown of herself on that show.

I watch The Talk religiously and have noticed that Sheryl always fawns over white men (practically kissing their behinds – especially Donnie Osmond of all people), plays into the loud-mouthed black woman stereotype, and constantly makes disparaging comments about her own people for a laugh.

On one episode, they were discussing a white football player that was a cheap tipper at a restaurant. Sheryl took it upon herself to talk about how cheap black people are and they don’t even tip at all. I thought, what the hell does that have to do with a white football player being a cheap tipper?

Also, Sheryl seems jealous of beautiful black women. She deliberately made it a point to trash Halle Berry on the show back when her ex got into a fight with her fiancee. Sheryl said something like, “The most beautiful has the most ugly love life. It must be something wrong with her. She can’t keep a man.” Sheryl also acted very cold when Tyra Banks did a recent appearance on the show.

Even during the Trayvon trial, Sheryl had a mouthful about how they couldn’t prove Zimmerman didn’t act in self defense. She was so aggressive to defend the side of the defense in the case.

Lastly, she lets Sharon Osbourne talk to her like crap and says nothing. Safe to say, Sheryl Underwood is doing whatever she can to secure and keep a CBS check, even if it means degrading herself and her people.

• Sherri Etienne on September 4, 2013 at 12:13 pm

I’m telling you its because in her mind she has never measured up to “society’s” standards of beauty! “All huh life she had ta fight!” LOL!Seriously though, how did Mister’s father describe Shug in the Color Purple? “She black as tar, nappy-headed, got legs like baseball bats….” Then Mister describes Celie as Black, poor and ugly and I am almost positive Sheryl suffered some of the same verbal abuse in her upbringing. Its sad that she has to resort to cooning though, damn!

6. Sherri Etienne on September 3, 2013 at 4:41 pm

Not excusing her comments because they were indeed ignorant and very offensive, but looking at Sheryl Underwood one can see where her hatred of self began, the mirror.

Not trying to be funny, but as a brown skin woman, not dark like Sheryl, but brown like Gabrielle Union, growing up I was ridiculed for being dark. Boys didn’t like me because I was dark and my hair was short and I was skinny so I was considered ugly. Sadly, I wanted to be light skinned like my sister or white like my classmates. It wasn’t until HS that my issues with self were finally eradicated. My complexion was no longer an issue, short hair became cool and being skinny and tall made me model material thanks to Beverly Johnson, Iman and Cynthia Bailey. I learned to embrace my beauty through the beauty of others and there was zero turning back for me.

Granted it wasn’t easy, but my advantage was that I was actually a pretty girl underneath my low self esteem and color complex so when I blossumed, I was confident and ready to defend my ethnicity, Black is Beautiful, f-the haters!!! Sheryl on the other hand, may have never reached her physical epiphany and has therefore had to rest her laurels on laughs. And making fun of what she considers flaws is merely her way of making herself feel better about herself. Its an unfortunate way of coping and I really feel sorry for her.

Black is beautiful in every shade, from the whitest albino to the darkest african descendant, from the kinkiest to the straightest, thinnest to the shapliest, we are beautiful people. And its proven every time a white person tans, gets lip and azz injections and a curly perm. They hate us cause they wanna be us and its just sad Sheryl is too washed out to realize it!

7. DB on September 3, 2013 at 5:05 pm

She’s also a republican.

8. jootjoint on September 3, 2013 at 8:45 pm

Hey there Ms. Sheryl Underwood…..take off that wig you got propped up on your head….and what do you got?

9. Myra on September 4, 2013 at 8:47 am

Self-hate is a terrbile thing. If we can’t accept our “nappy, beady hair and chocolate skin” why should we accept others too?

10. Myra on September 4, 2013 at 8:48 am

Self-hate is a terrbile thing. If we can’t accept our “nappy, beady hair and chocolate skin” why should we expect others too?

11. Debra on September 4, 2013 at 1:35 pm

Everyone should know better…. SMH..

12. Dee on September 5, 2013 at 11:11 pm

Self hatred at it’s best. A sell out in order to make it in today’s white entertainment industry. Ms. Sheryl, please take a seat.

13. Linda on September 27, 2013 at 10:55 pm

This is quite bad and so sad to read.

Indian Hair