Unarmed Black man killed by White officer in Phoenix

rumain

The senseless killings of unarmed Black men at the hands of White police officers isn’t isolated; we’re dealing with a national epidemic.

According to the Arizona Republic, on Dec. 2, Rumain Brisbon was unarmed when he was shot and killed by a police officer in Phoenix. The incident occurred after police were told that a drug deal was occurring inside a Cadillac SUV. Police got the license plate number from the tipster and they traced it back to a home where Brisbon resided.

Police officers approached Brisbon while he was in the vehicle. The officer said Brisbon had his hands in his pockets and began to run. The officer gave chase. Brisbon ran into his apartment where two of his kids, ages 9 and 2, were in a back room.

The officer tackled Brisbon in his home and a struggle ensued. The officer said Brisbon reached into his pockets and he felt threatened by Brisbon. The officer fired two shots, and Brisbon died at the scene.

When the police searched Brisbon, he didn’t have a weapon. He only had a bottle of oxycodone pills in his pocket.

In the past six months, several unarmed Black men have been killed by white police officers. Eric Garner  was choked to death in New York. Mike Brown was shot and killed by Darren Wilson in Ferguson, Missouri. John Crawford was killed by police while holding a toy gun in Walmart. In Utah, Dillon Taylor was killed by police while walking near a convenience store. And a few days ago, 12-year-old Tamir Rice was shot and killed by an officer in Cleveland while holding a toy gun.

Brisbon’s death is currently being investigated.

1. alg1052 on December 5, 2014 at 1:55 pm

What does all these shootings have in common? All a cop has to say is they felt threatened. Case closed. This is a bunch of bull when I hear that cops put their lives on the line!

• Jason on December 5, 2014 at 2:46 pm

Thats called the Big Bad Wolf defense. “Look how big and black you are, Mr Wolf!” “His strength was just extra-ordinary! I felt as if King Kong himself had me in his grasp!” This is the age old technique of convincing the public that Blacks are needing to be killed due to being uncontrollable by conventional means. History tells the tale in this country.

• Noff Memphis on December 6, 2014 at 7:47 am

Question is…How do police feel threated when they are wearing a bullet-proof vest and we are wearing skin? You’re right…a bunch of bull.

2. realtruth on December 5, 2014 at 2:36 pm

Just to clarify. Dillon Taylor is white and was killed by a black officer.

• Jason on December 5, 2014 at 2:43 pm

Race does not matter. If cop kills without justification – they should go to a trial of their peers. BTW – there was body cam evidence with Dillon Taylor – who was at least given a chance to surrender – told the cops NO – walked away – turned around and has his hands in his waistband. Suicide by cop? Who knows, but don’t try to make this the same as the Mike Brown/Garner situations. Also – did you know that the MAJORITY of Blacks go to triall/jail when they shoot/kill someone?

• realtruth on January 1, 2015 at 3:34 pm

You are correct “Race does not matter”, however, this article and many others including black americans believe otherwise. Some people thrive on creating indifference between races.

You saying Dillon Taylor was at least given a chance to surrender is more than ironic. Michael Brown death should never have happened but, lets not forget he had smoked marijuana, just robbed a convenience store and assaulted the clerk. When the officer drove up on him and his friend, Johnson, and was asked to move off the street and back on the sidewalk, Brown cursed the officer. After the officer realized they were suspects, pulled the car in their path and evidence shows Brown had an physical altercation with officer Wilson while reaching into the window of the police car while Wilson was still seated. Officer Wilson managed to get off two shots during the struggle missing and clipping Brown’s arm. Brown and Johnson fled separate directions. Wilson called it into the station and went in persuit of Brown. It is unclear by all reports if Brown was raising his arms in surrender as popularized. He did have gunshot wound on his right hand palm side at close range (4ft) that is consistent with arms raising or lunging at the officer. Brown taking illegal drugs, robbed, assaulted a clerk and an officer, resisted arrest, fled the crime scene and was presumed armed and dangerous before his death. Was Brown’s death necessary? Absolutely NOT. Where was Wilson’s taser? Why did Brown not surrender before several shots were fired? “Did you know the MAJORITY of (Whites) go to trail/jail when they shoot/kill someone?” Take a closer look.

Garner was 6’4″ 350+ lbs. with heart disease, severe asthma, diabetes, obesity, and sleep apnea and died of a heart attack in route to the hospital. There was no damage to his windpipe, surrounding cartilage or bony structure. When you can say “I can’t breath” 11 times you have the ability of air to pass bye the vocal cords to produce sound and for oxygen to travel back and forth to the lungs. Did the headlock, not chokehold, attribute to his death? YES as well as the factors listed above. This is not murder. Take a closer look as race is really not a factor.

Black businessmen complained to cops about Garner selling cigarettes outside their stores and his arrest was ordered by a black cop, and supervised by a black female officer. Moreover, the police officers were acting under orders issued a few days earlier by Philip Banks, New York City Chief of Police (and a Black) to “crack down” on the selling of loose, untaxed cigarettes. While Garner’s record had little or nothing to do with his death, it does put it in perspective to know he had been arrested 31 times for assault, grand larceny, marijuana possession, driving without a license, false impersonation, and selling untaxed tobacco (eight times). Is he a criminal?

Are white officers killing unarmed black men really an epidemic? No, the flu is.

• Jason on January 2, 2015 at 1:37 pm

This is crazy. The entire Brown episode was full of lies and that Grandy Jury lynching was the outcome of it all. Garner was choked – it was clearly seen on video. You are trying to deflect by speaking on his health issues. Nice try, but I can’t roll with you on this. All the cops involved should be standing in front of jurors instead of hiding behind the MANY suspected White Supremacist (some even confirmed) AND self-hating negroes that let them off.

• realtruth on January 2, 2015 at 4:21 pm

It is crazy. Lies on both sides. You stating Dillon Taylor’s death was “suicide by a cop” and talk of confirmed “white supremacist” and “self-hating negros” is one-sided. Truth is not on one side of the spectrum or the other, it is in the middle.
            Race does not matter. When the word “racist” is mentioned, what color, sex, age of an individual do you envision?

• Jason on January 2, 2015 at 4:26 pm

Well since ONLY Whites can be racist in the system of racism White Supremacy. ….

• realtruth on January 3, 2015 at 1:07 pm

• Jason on January 4, 2015 at 9:18 am

No such thing. Blacks in this world don’t have the ability to control White’s lives. Only Whites have that power today.

• realtruth on January 5, 2015 at 10:07 pm

Jason, your life must be tough to live with so much resentment in your heart. Keep believing what you believe and Martin Luther King Jr. dream will not be realized. Blacks in this country have more power than ever before but America still has systematic flaws of racism, poverty, militarism and materialism, and reconstruction of society itself is the real issue to be faced. What do you chose to do about that? “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?”

“I say to you today, my friends, so even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream.

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: ‘We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal.’
            I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a state sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day, down in Alabama, with its vicious racists, with its governor having his lips dripping with the words of interposition and nullification; one day right there in Alabama, little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers.

I have a dream today.”

3. butterbeanbabe on December 5, 2014 at 9:50 pm

this chasing a person down needs to be stopped for one how do you get to shoot someone you ran after? and does that mean hes done something cause he ran? how do you know you aint putting children and people in danger by running up in abuilding with a assailant>? police are so unprofessional and out rageous in their mis handleing of crimes .. a petty crime should never warrant a chase , shooting or bring down by 5 cops .. if one cop cant bring a man down accept with a gun then move on … let the man go he will get caught eventually ..unless you respond to a mass shooting .. they did nt even shot that man in colorado a white man last summer who was shooting people in a movie theater this guy went all the way to his car the police accosted him at the car and instead of them shooting him cause he was holding guns in his possession that jus killed people they peacfully surrendered him ? how is that ?
    equal justice ? no dam way … eric garner was wrestled down like you do a wild dear or bull .. he did not deserve to die in this most undignified criminal way .. the cops are the real crimianals in this world WE NOW GET TO SEE WHAT THEY CALL A DAY AT THE OFFICE OR BUSINESS AS USUAL, AND MOST OF US HAVE ACCEPTED THIS SHOOTING STYLE FOR MANY YEARS . NOW WE SEE HOW EASY IT IS FOR A WHITE COPE TO SHOOT .. THEY HAVE A UNDERLINE FEAR OF BLACK MEN PARTICULAR AND CAN DECIPILE BETWEEN A BOY AND A MAN … EVEN IFY OUR GONNA GUN DOWN A MAN … YOU COULD AT LEAST CHECK AND SEE IF THAT MAN IS A TEENAGER … we know they make mistakes and do things wrong but no kid deserves murder they dont under stand death as final and no coming back the copes do . .so why would they take that measure ment wen no one life is in danger . .they claim they feel threatened ..so that is when you use pepper spray taser , and get your ass whooped maybe.. as long as that man aaint shoot you . and you have backup comeing no need for a fight to turn to death EVER

4. butterbeanbabe on December 11, 2014 at 10:56 am

yes i notice that they all say they felt threatened . threaten how you have the dam gun on you how do that person threaten you .. you cant quest that he had a gun in his pocket just cause his hands were in there. he was probably trying to toss the oxycontin so they want find it on him , cops are such ignorant people . they have no clue how to do their job correctly . all this fear and chasing with fear and a gun on you is asking for sinceless killings .. they need to stop shooting people just cause they scared of them . .. can you kill a person you feel scared of ? or should they threaten your life then your justified if you shoot them . .. that is one job i would not take i dont care if you gave me a 4 million bonus to sign on . .. its gonna get real hard to get a cop job when black folks get finish changing the laws of how they are hired . that is truely what we need to target who gets hired .. .. a chubby white boy raised in a trailer park goes to the military cause he to poor to do anything else yet he comes out a hero? admired cause he served in afghanistan being cheered by the very commmunity who couldnt eve feed him ? if he dont loose his legs or arms he is givin a cop badge as a honor for all his hard work of killing afghan children and women … you dont know how many people that soldier killed in afghanistan or witness . .that is why they hav PTSD . .CAUSE THEY WITNESS AND KILLED PEOPLE THEY DAM SELF .. but they come home and for the same qualifications as a teen at macdonalds minus weapon training they get a BADGE>? REALLY AMERICA THAT IS THE BEST YOU CAN DO … WHY NOT GIVE A THUG FROM THE HOOD A BADGE .. HE KNOWS MORE BOUT THE HOOD THAN A COP WITH A BAD ATTITUDE AND A GUN

5. disqus_SSjSmaFJ4u on December 13, 2014 at 6:20 pm

How many unarmed white men have been killed by police officers in last 6 months?
    How many police officers have been killed in the line of duty in the last 6 months?
    Find the answers to these questions & then we can begin a common ground discussion.
    These destructive demonstrators need to be charged for burning or looting. They are making matters worse.

6. realtruth on January 1, 2015 at 3:38 pm

From Benjamin Watson

November 25

At some point while I was playing or preparing to play Monday Night Football, the news broke about the Ferguson Decision. After trying to figure out how I felt, I decided to write it down. Here are my thoughts:

I’M ANGRY because the stories of injustice that have been passed down for generations seem to be continuing before our very eyes.

I’M FRUSTRATED, because pop culture, music and movies glorify these types of police citizen altercations and promote an invincible attitude that continues to get young men killed in real life, away from safety movie sets and music studios.

I’M FEARFUL because in the back of my mind I know that although I’m a law abiding citizen I could still be looked upon as a “threat” to those who don’t know me. So I will continue to have to go the extra mile to earn the benefit of the doubt.

I’M EMBARRASSED because the looting, violent protests, and law breaking only confirm, and in the minds of many, validate, the stereotypes and thus the inferior treatment.

I’M SAD, because another young life was lost from his family, the racial divide has widened, a community is in shambles, accusations, insensitivity hurt and hatred are boiling over, and we may never know the truth about what happened that day.

I’M SYMPATHETIC, because I wasn’t there so I don’t know exactly what happened. Maybe Darren Wilson acted within his rights and duty as an officer of the law and killed Michael Brown in self-defense like any of us would in the circumstance. Now he has to fear the backlash against himself and his loved ones when he was only doing his job. What a horrible thing to endure. OR maybe he provoked Michael and ignited the series of events that led to him eventually murdering the young man to prove a point.

I’M OFFENDED, because of the insulting comments I’ve seen that are not only insensitive but dismissive to the painful experiences of others.

I’M CONFUSED, because I don’t know why it’s so hard to obey a policeman. You will not win!!! And I don’t know why some policeman abuse their power. Power is a responsibility, not a weapon to brandish and lord over the populace.

I’M INTROSPECTIVE, because sometimes I want to take “our” side without looking at the facts in situations like these. Sometimes I feel like it’s us against them. Sometimes I’m just as prejudiced as people I point fingers at. And that’s not right. How can I look at white skin and make assumptions but not want assumptions made about me? That’s not right.

I’M HOPELESS, because I’ve lived long enough to expect things like this to continue to happen. I’m not surprised and at some point my little children are going to inherit the weight of being a minority and all that it entails.

I’M HOPEFUL, because I know that while we still have race issues in America, we enjoy a much different normal than those of our parents and grandparents. I see it in my personal relationships with teammates, friends and mentors. And it’s a beautiful thing.

I’M ENCOURAGED, because ultimately the problem is not a SKIN problem, it is a SIN problem. SIN is the reason we rebel against authority. SIN is the reason we abuse our authority. SIN is the reason we are racist, prejudiced and lie to
    cover for our own. SIN is the reason we riot, loot and burn. BUT I’M ENCOURAGED because God has provided a solution for sin through his son Jesus and with it, a transformed heart and mind. One that’s capable of looking past the outward and seeing what’s truly important in every human being. The cure for the Michael Brown, Trayvon Martin, Tamir Rice and Eric Garner tragedies is not education or exposure. It’s the Gospel. So, finally, I’M ENCOURAGED because the Gospel gives mankind hope.