As anticipated and predicted by nearly every boxing expert, Floyd Mayweather defeated Andre Berto, repeatedly landing punches at will while simultaneously showcasing his boxing brilliance on his way to an unanimous decision to raise his unblemished record to 49-0. But is Floyd ready to hang up his boxing gloves for good? At the final press conference earlier this week, he certainly sounded like it.
“I want to thank everyone that has covered this event and my career over 19 years. Whether it was a good story or a bad story, you guys wrote about me and kept me relevant. That’s how I was able to do record breaking numbers,” Money said on Wednesday. After his fight, he said ‘my career is over” to confirm. But can Floyd turn down a huge check to fight again if it is offered to him? Certainly Showtime, HBO, and perhaps others would be willing to get Floyd in the ring again for a chance at 50-0, but there are others with a huge potential stake as well.
The Arena, a state-of-the art 20,000 seat space in Las Vegas is set to open on or around May 1, 2016, which happens to be pretty close to when Floyd Mayweather has held six of his Cinco de Mayo fights. Mayweather was also at the ground-breaking ceremony on May 1, 2014, right before his first fight against Marcos Maidana at MGM Grand Garden Arena. MGM, which Mayweather has said stands for ‘Mayweather Gets Money’, is co-owner of The Arena along with AEG.
So if this was the last fight for the man that calls himself ‘TBE’ or ‘The Best Ever’ then he will retire, just like Rocky Marciano, with a record of 49-0. He will retire underappreciated for his skills, his defensive brilliance, and his business acumen. But with a nickname of ‘Money’ I expect Mayweather to be in the ring next year against the winner of Miguel Cotto vs Canelo Alvarez, or even a rematch versus Manny Pacquiao. Mayweather will sign a contract with the highest bidder to achieve a 50-0 record and land another nine-figure check for stepping into the ring for another final fight.