Activist Amber Amour takes selfie, posts to social media minutes after rape

Amber Amour takes a selfie after alleged rape ((Image source: Instagram @ambertheactivist)

Rape activist Amber Amour, 27, has caused controversy over an alleged rape that occurred in Cape Town, South Africa, in November of 2015. Amour is originally from New York City and was speaking on behalf of her “Stop Rape. Educate” campaign when she alleged that she was sexually assaulted by a man named Shakir. Moments after the alleged rape, Amor began live blogging her rape experience on Instagram and Facebook. This included a picture of her during evidence collection for a rape kit.

Amber Amour during “Rape Kit” evidence collection (Image Source: Instagram @ambertheactivist)

Amber Amour during rape kit evidence collection (Image Source: Instagram @ambertheactivist)

She posted the following to Facebook on Nov. 21, 2015:

“I’ve been sick for the past 2 days and today was my first day out. I went back to my old hostel to leave a note for a friend, Nick. There was another guy there, Shakir, who was desperately trying to get with me. I kissed him once but he seemed drunk so I told him it was bad timing, I had already met someone. Before heading out, I went upstairs to say hi to one more friend, Clyde from the states. Shakir followed me upstairs and said he was going to take a shower. He invited me to join. I said yes because the water at my current hostel is pretty cold and after 2 days of being sick, I just really wanted a hot shower. As soon as I got in the bathroom, he forced me to my knees. I said “stop!” but he just got more violent. He lifted me up and put his penis in my vagina. I asked him to stop, again, as I began to cry. When he shoved it in my ass, that’s when I passed out. I woke up a few minutes later and saw him trying to creep out the door. When he saw that I was awake, he came back to finish me off in the shower. I have all those fucked up feelings that we get after rape…shame, disgust, suffering. I’m here, alone, and any DNA has been wiped away in the shower. The South African police will just roll their eyes when I walk in. Feeling sicker than ever now… All the more reason to ‪#‎StopRapeEducate but today I just need rest. (Amber The Activist/Facebook)”

Since the alleged rape she has received positive and negative responses from critics of her decision to take a shower with a man she had just met. But Amour stated that being naked does not give someone consent to rape and that people are engaging in victim blaming. To reinforce this idea, she has decided to start spending more time naked with strangers in public and created a new campaign called “Creating Consent Culture.” Since the attack, Amour has given numerous interviews defending her decision to take a shower with her alleged assailant. She has stated that showering naked with someone is not an invitation to sex or rape.

(Image Source: Instagram @ambertheactivist)

(Image source: Instagram @ambertheactivist)

On Jan. 2, 2016 Amour posted on Facebook “I found out yesterday that the man who raped me was arrested!! And then he was released on bail for 1000Rand, about $75. I’m not dropping the case; I’ll let the courts do their job. The case is postponed until March 29. In the meantime, I’ll continue my humanitarian work here in Africa. Next stop: Namibia this Thursday!”

Here are a few posts from her Instagram account @ambertheactivist:

1. RollingMo on January 7, 2016 at 2:28 pm

There is something wrong here. How are you going to get in a shower with a drunk naked man who tried to kiss you earlier. Your an activist for rape victims and you don’t see warning signs? Did you have to take a shower WITH him? Then you start posting nude pics of yourself after the rape? Help me out people…..https://rollingout.com/2016/01/07/rape-activist-amber-amour-takes-selfie-posts-social-media-minutes-rape/#1

• ChocolateCity on January 7, 2016 at 2:51 pm

Lets wait for RO to ask the ex pimp….Ice T or maybe they’ll go look for that pimp Chi Town from Jerry Springer. LOL Some how if you’re no longer in the trade…you are prime to ask opinions on crimes against women.

All jokes aside. I’m never putting myself in a position to be a “victim”….that’s what I’m not going to do. Thats what I would say to my nieces. Going around acting or saying I dare you…is crazy!! men exploiting the young woman with all this..is crazy and sad. signs of the sick world we are living in.

• Brian Hull on January 8, 2016 at 4:15 pm

why couldn’t she wait 10 minutes to take a shower by herself? why does she dismiss DNA evidence out of hand? why are all the updates for this case coming from Amber herself with no other source in sight? this whole business is very odd and i don’t think it’s helpful to real victims of rape.

• Nasira Miller on January 9, 2016 at 7:48 pm

This isn’t supposed to be helpful to real victims. This is about HER. This is a big publicity stunt and a disgusting one at that. What a horrible thing to play with. So many women who have been raped NEVER come forward because they feel guilty for their “part” in what happened, because they don’t want to make a “big deal” out of it, because they don’t want to ruin the rapists life or because they are scared people will think they are lying. The trauma is real and lasting. This woman’s reaction is not credible and I think taking selfies and live blogging and posting nature shots after something like that is the LAST thing a woman who’s been raped would do.

• Valica on January 10, 2016 at 7:46 pm

Thanks Nasira, telling is one thing and following through with case, but NOT what she’s doing.

• atlsongbyrd on January 11, 2016 at 12:21 pm

Exactly!

• Corey Mac on January 11, 2016 at 1:07 pm

Yeah, I call bull on this too.

• Jimmy Calhoun on January 9, 2016 at 8:18 pm

Even so, that doesn’t give him the right to force himself on her. Even if she made some unwise decisions, he’s still the one criminally responsible for the act.

• Valica on January 10, 2016 at 7:43 pm

Once I figure it out myself, I’ll help you and everyone else.

2. Percy Linwood Dillard on January 7, 2016 at 4:52 pm

Never mind what the rest of them say… Next thing you know you were overly secure about the well being you shouldn’t ever be insecure about …excuse them… Get well. Be more careful next time. Surely if I were there that just wouldn’t have happened to you!

3. shellyTheGreat on January 7, 2016 at 5:41 pm

Smh. No one deserves to get raped. On the other hand, let’s deal with the fact that she is old enough to not make such stupid decisions. Stop thinking that there are not crazy men out here who will take advantage of you if given the chance. You need to protect yourself, because no matter what, those people will be out there. Stop making yourself more vulnerable to these situations if you don’t have to be. Stop getting drunk around people you don’t know, and definitely don’t get naked around someone you don’t know in a foreign country, smh. this lady’s story is one of the dumbest things i’ve ever heard. He needs to be locked up, and she does too for being stupid.

• TheBurningBush on January 7, 2016 at 6:19 pm

thank you just wisdom and good common sense!

• Brian Hull on January 8, 2016 at 4:16 pm

the fact that she says there’s no DNA evidence 5 minutes after she gets raped speaks volumes. i hate to say she made it up, but that’s kind of the impression i get.

• shellyTheGreat on January 8, 2016 at 9:22 pm

that’s definitely a possibility.

• Chief Smakaho on January 9, 2016 at 10:53 am

“…crazy men out here…”

Are you joking? This bitch is the crazy one.

• jerry on January 12, 2016 at 6:09 am

She said that he had: 1. Been trying to get with her 2. Kissed her in the past 3. Followed her upstairs where she was going to visit with her friend Clyde (where did Clyde go?) With all of these things being given as fact, who would then take a shower naked with a man just because their own shower water was cold? What’s next – I lay naked with a naked man on top of me in his hotel room because it was cold in my hotel; or maybe, I walked into the men’s prison dormitory naked and without protection because I like the cool breeze on my skin – I should not expect anything to happen with 1500 men around me because they were clothed or maybe I went into the men’s prison shower because I didn’t have time to take one before I left home to go to work as a guard? This is the most idiotic thing that I have ever heard of and when the women who were raped by Bill Cosby are going through so much scrutiny in the public, this article or blog or whatever should never have been published by rollingout!

• shellyTheGreat on January 12, 2016 at 10:22 am

eh, i agree with you about this woman, but as far as the women in bill cosby’s situation, a lot of them have proven to be liars. this article just sheds more light on the fact that some (not all) women are less than honest about rape or end up in dangerous situations based on terrible judgement. this article shouldn’t make anyone think all the women accusing cosby are lying, but it should make people think critically about rape cases before automatically jumping on the supposed victim’s side.

• jerry on January 14, 2016 at 6:35 am

Yes, those are my thoughts stated in a very succinct manner! Question though, which ‘lot’ of the women in bill cosby’s case have been ‘proven’ to be liars? I did not read that one.

• shellyTheGreat on January 15, 2016 at 5:19 pm

off the top of my head, the one who said they met at the playboy mansion and one who said they met at some comedy club…apparently, he wasn’t at either of those places at the time these women said he was. i need to do more research on it, i will follow up with you afterwards if i can remember to do so.

• jerry on January 19, 2016 at 6:37 am

So if you can only think of 2 cases out of 40 then that isn’t really a ‘LOT’ of the cases. This type of summation tends to lessen the reality of this situation. ‘A couple of the women…’ seems to be more accurate.

• shellyTheGreat on January 19, 2016 at 8:31 am

like i said, those are the only ones i can think of off the top of my head without looking it up. but yeah, it MIGHT be only 2 that have been proven as liars for sure…several of the others are just extremely sketchy.

• TheBurningBush on January 19, 2016 at 10:20 am

when have Bill Cosby been proven a liar in these cases?

4. TheBurningBush on January 7, 2016 at 6:23 pm

“Since the alleged rape she has received positive and negative responses from critics of her decision to take a shower with a man she had just met.” this was a set up she is going around with the intent to entrap men for a cause, this women sick and needs help!

• Annamuffin on January 7, 2016 at 7:32 pm

Exactly

• TheBurningBush on January 7, 2016 at 8:03 pm

can you believe that, can you believe what she did!

• Annamuffin on January 7, 2016 at 8:13 pm

I believe it, that’s why men should be very suspicious of women like her…

• TheBurningBush on January 7, 2016 at 10:12 pm

such a good looking fine women, how is she able to travel to several countries around the world and do this without somebody or some group sponsoring her, oh well she is brave enough to put her life on the line for what she believe in.

• Annamuffin on January 8, 2016 at 12:54 am

She looks ugly to me, but then again I’m not attracted to women….

• TheBurningBush on January 8, 2016 at 9:17 am

to me her body looks right nice and tinder and I can see why she can entrap a lot of men, teacher able moment for you young sister, when a women like that take off her cloths and get into a shower or bed with a normal healthy man, he gets primal, he stop thinking with his head above his neck and start thinking with his head below his waist, you get it and that includes your daddy, brother, boyfriends, husband etc.. keep loose women like that from around your man especially when he is young because she is trouble.

• Annamuffin on January 8, 2016 at 1:37 pm

Hahahaha, I guess….

• Annamuffin on January 8, 2016 at 10:42 pm

My Dad like naturally looking women, and I don’t think she would be his type, or my brothers she looks dirty… My boyfriend to in love with me to want a rag a muffin like that…

• TheBurningBush on January 9, 2016 at 9:45 am

hahahahahahaha but all that will change behind close doors when she take off her cloths, no matter how they look to you, you are a women, that rag a muffin will look sexes to a man and turn on his primal instincts, you would be wise to keep flirting women who do not have boundary away from you home!

• beverly on January 10, 2016 at 5:17 pm

This is just youthful ignorance regardless of what happened with the rape victim. I get the feeling annamuffin that you and your family have nothing to worry about. I doubt that anyone would WANT to be bothered.

• Valica on January 10, 2016 at 7:49 pm

No she is cute, I will give this to her

• Brian Hull on January 8, 2016 at 4:17 pm

even if she set a trap there’d be DNA evidence and a police report. i don’t think she made a trap i think she made a story.

• TheBurningBush on January 8, 2016 at 6:04 pm

oh, I thought I read a article somewhere, where the man was arrested and released on a 75$ bond and she was moving on to Namibia.

• Brian Hull on January 8, 2016 at 6:08 pm

you did! and the source of that was Amber herself.

• Chief Smakaho on January 9, 2016 at 10:54 am

Bingo.

• Valica on January 10, 2016 at 7:48 pm

So she had these other MALE friends there too. Why no mention of telling them or like someone previously said, where’s the back up to this. She’s heard about women being raped and she goes and do this. I’m sorry, she lucky wasn’t gang raped.

5. vfro ndn on January 7, 2016 at 10:02 pm

just because being naked doesn’t give someone a right to rape you, doesn’t mean a person wouldn’t. I find it strange she kissed the dude, claimed she was in love with someone else, turn around and take a shower with him, and then say she was raped. Couldn’t she have waited until the guy finished taking a shower or shower before him? Where was Clyde during the rape? Did you scream for his help? How would her significant other feel if he found out she took a shower with a man she kissed prior. I think this is a publicity stunt.

• TheBurningBush on January 7, 2016 at 10:20 pm

she was sent there with an agenda, she was on a mission to entrap me to prove that there is a world wide rape culture, but we got to give it to her she is putting her life on the line for what she believe in.

6. guest on January 8, 2016 at 8:04 am

This is taking attention seeking to a whole new level. It sounds like a social experiment gone awry and this “activist” is doing more damage to her cause than a billion victim blamers could ever do. She must be off her meds.

7. FreeBigWillie on January 8, 2016 at 8:06 am

Danger Will Robinson! Danger!

8. Lady R on January 8, 2016 at 3:04 pm

How does that work????

9. Dooley P on January 8, 2016 at 4:29 pm

Pimpin’ the rape victim game… People, don’t fall for this fu*kery!!

10. Darlyn on January 8, 2016 at 10:39 pm

Folks are gonna get mad, but I don’t care. What GROWN ASS woman gets in a SHOWER, NAKED with a man she don’t know, because she “just wanted a hot shower”?? Dumbest move ever. Sure, being NAKED in a SHOWER with a stranger SHOULDN’T result in rape. But seems to me common sense would have told her that wasn’t the best decision to make. You just don’t do that. She didn’t deserve to get raped, but she definitely lacks common sense and social awareness.

• Jimmy Calhoun on January 9, 2016 at 8:25 pm

You have a point, but sexual assault is the only type of crime where we tend to focus on the victim rather than the perpetrator. Just think about that for a moment.

• jerry on January 12, 2016 at 6:16 am

People who leave their car running with the keys are not looked at sadly when the car is stolen
        People who hang around hardcore addicts and find that their things are stolen are not looked at with very much sympathy
        Somethings just should not be done due to commonsense…

By the way, if you die while speeding the wrong way on the interstate drunk and you hit a pole and no one else is injured then not many people are saying that the state should have placed the pole in another place to avoid this from happening.

• Jimmy Calhoun on January 13, 2016 at 7:22 pm

1. You’re equating sexual assault with theft and car accidents – seems like apples and oranges, to say the least.

2. You’re equating the human body with inanimate objects, which also seems rather odd.

3. Implying that anyone “deserves” rape is pretty reprehensible. Particularly because it lets the perpetrator off the hook, as if he/she did nothing wrong.

• jerry on January 14, 2016 at 6:56 am

I believe that I gave other examples some of someone actually being raped. All of my examples were to show obvious examples of common sense. Common sense vs. common sense =apples to apples

So let’s look at some other things that might seem illogical acts that might end with a perpetrator committing a criminal act. Hmmm. I should be able to go into any public establishment in the country and make a valid purchase of an item, correct? If I am driving down a country road and decide to go into a bar off the side of the road, to get a soda before I continue on my journey. I see that on the outside of the bar are several painted swastikas and racist statements saying that all Blacks (of course using that N-word) should go back to Africa and that all Gays should be gutted and all (Kikes) should have died in Germany and me, a Black, Gay woman of Jewish faith, decide to enter that bar anyway for my soda. upon entering I clearly see that it is packed wall to wall (upwards of 100) with obvious members of the Aryan Nation skinheads having a social gathering, the bar is still open for business, I still saunter up to the counter for a can of coke
            Should I not have the expectation that I will probably not leave in the same manner that I entered the bar? I mean, come on, I do have rights!

I have been raped while in the military. I wasn’t naked in the shower with my fellow Sailor. I wasn’t drunk, and I made sure that I was on the up and up with any of the guys that I was on isolated duty with. I was still raped.

As a mother of both a son and a daughter, are you telling me that there is no need to give our children the rules of life and to have expectations of behavior. Hey, we should no tell our Black sons the ‘how to behave if you are stopped by the police’ because hell anything goes? We would, as a society, like to believe that if we follow the rules we will receive a gold star. If we use our common sense, more likely than not, danger will not befall us, if we don’t then we can EXPECT danger.

• jerry on January 14, 2016 at 7:02 am

Also, I apologize, but I had given an example earlier in the string of being a female guard in a men’s prison and deciding to take a shower in the one for the prisoners because I didn’t have time to at home at not expecting to be raped because it’s against the law…

• Valica on January 10, 2016 at 7:51 pm

I’m not mad

11. Chief Smakaho on January 9, 2016 at 10:52 am

LMFAO! What a lying whore! Feminism has turned women retarded.

12. Vallie on January 10, 2016 at 8:19 am

Something is clearly wrong with this woman. She doesn’t deserve the attention she’s getting. Smmh…

13. Alain Portant on January 10, 2016 at 4:58 pm

This is like the lamest rape activist EVER.
    “I just really wanted a hot shower so i went inside the shower with a guy i kissed earlier and just turned down 10 minutes ago”
    I mean, what are you, a 13 years old virgin ? fuck off will you ? you’re just trying to prove a point by putting yourself i danger in a foreign country.

I can NOT feel sorry for you, actually i’m amused, i think the whole situation is hilarious.

• Valica on January 10, 2016 at 7:54 pm

That kiss confused me, was it earlier that day or like days ago, never really cleared that up.

14. Jacqueline Milton on January 10, 2016 at 5:13 pm

This story is crazy why would you kiss a man and then get in the shower with him butt ass naked yet he rapped you with no DNA. You are on social media posting 5 minutes later. I think the sex with the man didn’t go as planned anal and she passed out. This story belongs in Ripley’s Believe it or not! Lol

• guest on January 11, 2016 at 9:18 am

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe he was too rough or something. If she said no even during the act that would be rape but this woman seems to like playing with fire and got burned. Makes it hard to have sympathy for her especially since she is a activist for sexual assault and should know better.

15. beverly on January 10, 2016 at 5:33 pm

I’m just not sure what to make of this. What I really think is this young woman is pretty confident in herself and thought “no” would be enough even though she admits this man liked her. What I don’t understand is “who” would shower with a complete stranger? How about, you go first, then me. And as an advocate of rape why did she assume a shower would destroy all DNA. When a man ejaculates, millions of sperm cells are produced in seminal fluid. This sperm could not be found in her vagina or anus, not even trace amounts? How about the internal and external damage that the rape caused? Was this noted in the medical file. Amber, as a rape advocate you must be very clear with your story. And finally my sweet and beautiful Amber, the point is not that nudity does not promote rape, it doesn’t, sick men rape period, the point is to teach young women to be safe. May you get the help that you need to feel true and whole again and may you learn the lesson, no you aren’t to blame, but as women, we must behave wisely and teach our young women and men as well.

16. Valica on January 10, 2016 at 7:43 pm

OK, this is very strange, I don’t know nor have ever heard of any rape victim doing all this right after the rape. This is a very strong woman (inside) or this was all made up. I’m sorry, I’m a female but I can’t see myself doing this right after being raped. Nor would I take a shower with a man I don’t know who I’m pretty sure wants to get with me. Yes you didn’t consent, but you did put yourself in harms way.

17. atlsongbyrd on January 11, 2016 at 12:17 pm

The problem is that shower with a drunk ass man that just kissed her and she told him no. Drunk people usually don’t give af so that wasn’t a smart ideal for her to do that.

18. beemcnee on January 31, 2016 at 11:26 pm

Why is she not wet after the shower??? Her hair, skin?? And why is her phone in the shower??? Simple questions. Oh and what does she mean by “he came back to finish her off?” Where are the bruises ? The contusions? Not a mark on her. If he forced anal sex the muscle retention and forced penetration would most likely cause bleeding and tearing. And what about calling the POLICE immediately instead of a selfie?!?