Amandla Stenberg comes out as bisexual on Snapchat

Photo source: amandla (amandlastenberg) via Instagram

Photo source: amandla (amandlastenberg) via Instagram

Outspoken actress Amandla Stenberg came out as bisexual Thursday night on Teen Vogue‘s Snapchat.

“I cannot stress enough how important representation is,” said 17-year-old Stenberg. “It’s a really, really hard thing to be silenced and it’s deeply bruising to fight against your identity and to mold yourself into shapes that you just shouldn’t be in. As someone who identifies as a Black, bisexual woman, I’ve been through it, and it hurts, and it’s awkward, and it’s uncomfortable.”

Stenberg, best known for her role in the hit film The Hunger Games, recently sat down with singer Solange Knowles for an interview in Teen Vogue‘s February issue, in which she expressed her thoughts on everything from race to hair and helping others become more comfortable with their identity.

“I kind of had a moment with myself, like, ‘OK. Is this what you want to do? Do you actually want to talk about issues? Is it worth it?’ There are still moments now where I’m like, ‘Whoa, this is a lot of pressure.’ But it’s worth it because when people come to me and say, ‘I’m more comfortable in my identity because of you,’ or ‘I feel like you’ve given me a voice,’ that’s the most powerful thing ever,” she told Knowles.

Stenberg also posted the Snapchat video on her Tumblr page here.

1. Nigg.Newton on January 8, 2016 at 10:41 pm

Why is she telling me her — BEDROOM ISSUES…don’t care.

• Jimmy Calhoun on January 9, 2016 at 8:34 pm

Thing is, sexual orientation has to do with a lot more than just “bedroom issues.” All she said was she likes men and women, she didn’t give a detailed account of her sex life.

• Nigg.Newton on January 10, 2016 at 1:59 pm

Sorry but how can SEXUAL ORIENTATION have a lot more to do with than the BEDROOM?

Are you saying — her BEDROOM preference is going to help produce a product, service or skill. NO, it will not. So it’s irrelevant and should be kept between her and her BEDROOM PARTNERS.

• Jimmy Calhoun on January 10, 2016 at 4:47 pm

Also has to do with whom one is attracted to, whom one dates, etc. Which all falls under “personal business” more or less – except people “announce” that they’re straight all the time, albeit more subtly. When we mention our opposite-sex partner, hold hands with him/her in public, or keep a picture on the desk at work, we’re basically “announcing” our orientation in some sense.

Most straight people don’t mention their sexuality in a magazine article, generally because there’s no need to – straight is the “default” setting so to speak.

• Nigg.Newton on January 10, 2016 at 4:59 pm

But what does it have a lot to do with? She can only have ONE WIFE or Husband.

So it means nothing to announce who you prefer in the BEDROOM. It just SHOWS the world you are a — SEXUAL DEVIANT!

• Ays on January 12, 2016 at 3:16 am

Wait.. what.. “sexual deviant”?

Seriously? And in all bold caps?
            But you “don’t care”?

Well… plenty care. Amandla cares. People are still murdering minorities, including those that have so-called ‘non-conventional lifestyles’; there are MANY that care… that is why she shared it. Including her reasons why.
            I mean, since she is attracted to male and female and most likely showing her ongoing support and being a proponent for the LGBT community… not her bedroom details. She didn’t even say whom she was dating or even whether she was in the first place. I mean, we do not even know whether or not she is a virgin. That is more along the lines of “bedroom details”.

She is just displaying, in her own words, “representation”. She is just being honest about who she is and providing hope for others… not bragging about whom she’s with and how she does it.

• Nigg.Newton on January 12, 2016 at 10:12 am

But that runs COUNTER to what you just wrote, if she is going to be ridiculed for her CHOICE…KEEP it to herself.

I don’t want to know or hear it. The world does not want to HEAR or need to know, what you do in your BEDROOM.

Unless you are a SEXUAL DEVIANT. Then we need to protect others from you.

Why is that so hard to COMPREHEND!