Man who filmed Black girl arguing about dreads wants to press charges

Photo credit: KRON via screenshot

Photo credit: KRON via screenshot

A Black female university student garnered a lot of negative attention this past week for being caught on camera chastising a White man for wearing dreads. Now the man who filmed the incident is speaking out.

In the viral video, Bonita Tindle is face-to-face with fellow San Francisco State University student Cory Goldstein. He tells her, “You’re saying that I can’t have a hairstyle because of your culture? Why?”

She responds, “Because it’s my culture.”

Tindle then appears to be trying to block Goldstein from leaving, and the two get into a minor physical altercation.

Austin King says he’s the one who shot the argument on his cellphone and that he plans to get the police involved. The SFSU student told KRON news that he was randomly walking in the student center that day when he heard Tindle say that she was going to find someone who had been rude to her.

“My instincts kind of kicked in, and I thought, ‘You know, something might be going on,’” King said.

Photo credit: Youtube screenshot

Photo credit: Youtube screenshot

The cinema major said he had filmed incidents on campus before, but that this particular event has received more attention than anything he’s ever shot.

“I just wanted to create an objective recording of what happened,” he said.

The video has sparked many conversations online about cultural appropriation, with some agreeing that White people should not wear hairstyles that are related to Black culture, while others do not see dreadlocks as a “Black” style. King said he doesn’t agree with Tindle approaching Goldstein about wearing dreads.

“Here we just have someone who because of their race is just being harassed and pulled around,” King said. “It’s just not right.”

Tindle could also be seen in the footage pushing King’s camera away. He says he now plans to press charges against her.

“She had no right to grab me or grab my camera,” he said. “She just so freely put her hands all over Cory, put her hands all over me, tried to take my property, tried to intimidate us into doing what she wanted. That just wasn’t right. We can’t have that happening on a public college campus.”

Goldstein has decided not to press changes against Tindle.

The Associated Students of San Francisco State University released a statement on the video:

Associated Students is aware of the situation that took place on Monday, March 28th, between three students in the Cesar Chavez Student Center. One of the students in the video, Ms. Tindle, is a student assistant employed by Associated Students, and was not acting on behalf of Associated Students in any capacity, when the incident occurred. We are in full cooperation with the investigation being conducted by the University, in order to ensure due process for these students involved.

What do you think of this whole messy situation?

1. martial on April 3, 2016 at 7:23 pm

Never has so much been said about so little by so many. The woman deserves a reprimand to discourage violent acts, but no more. Anyone arguing otherwise needs to speak with police anywhere to see how little violence was present compared with what ordinarily results in an arrest or termination of a job.
    There are lessons for all. A reason this did not go beyond a minor push or two is because there was a visual record of what was happenings; public cameras are a boon, not a bane. Most important, avoid actual verbal confrontations with people not intimately known; they can escalate to fist fights and even death.

• Jack b. Nimble on April 4, 2016 at 12:39 pm

Youre ignorant, he was trying to leave, she wouldnt let him, that is a violation of the law in itself, the ONLY reason it didnt escalate is because he was being so passive and didnt allow it too, she was actively seeking out a weapon (scissors), so idk where the fuck you get off telling people she only needs a reprimand gtf out of here

• martial on April 5, 2016 at 12:32 am

The authorities in San Francisco are investigating this crime, which is simple assault, at this time. All appropriate factors will be taken into account. I do not know CA law, but assume on basic stuff that it is like TX law; in TX this would no more count as a crime on one’s record than would a speeding ticket. Everything, of course, depends on what is found. Perhaps the woman threatened the fellow’s life; that’s a different circumstance.

• MiddleageLiberal on April 5, 2016 at 11:41 am

It’s a simple assault and battery, minor misdemeanor (or would be in my state). There doesn’t have to be an injury for the offense to be completed. I haven’t seen any public apology from her for grabbing him or blocking him, so something should be done to deter her from doing it again. Perhaps a disciplinary probationary period at the university would be sufficient. I would be worried around her making up a story about someone assaulting her after something she said. It sounded like that’s what she wanted to do, but the film stopped that strategy in its tracks.

• martial on April 5, 2016 at 6:24 pm

That’s my feeling exactly.

• palladin on April 29, 2016 at 12:51 am

Yeah, one thing I noticed was her friend was (apparently) making an audio recording of the event. If you listen to the audio of her ‘saying stop touching me’ you would think the guy is the aggressor, but b/c we have the video, it can be seen in the actual context.

Had they not had the video, I think we would have an entirely different narrative.

• palladin on April 27, 2016 at 8:25 am

Actually I think it would be “Assault by contact”.

I remember seeing a story about a guy (in Dallas) who tapped someone on the shoulder to ask her to be quiet. (in a movie theater)

She called the cops on him. They reluctantly arrested him and her as well for disturbing the peace.

• Martial on April 27, 2016 at 2:59 pm

That’s the California term then. Anyone making a big deal out of this needs to report all the speeders in their town to the Forward.

• CrazyBlack on April 4, 2016 at 2:08 pm

The negro asked her friend for a pair of scissors so she could physically cut off his dreadlocks for him. Stop downplaying the incident. If the position (I mean races) were reversed, blacks from across the state along with their misguided liberal white allies would be marching and protesting the campus demanding administrators be fired as well as mandatory racial tolerance classes be incorporated in the curriculum for all white students.

• martial on April 4, 2016 at 9:37 pm

I really, really doubt it.

• Jake Sneed on April 5, 2016 at 11:38 pm

Negro? You are a dumbass!!!

• CHRISTI on April 10, 2016 at 11:27 am

TELL IT LIKE IT IS CRAZY BLACK I AM A BLACK WOMAN AND IF THAT WAS A WHITE WOMAN AND A BLACK BOY AL SHARPTON JESSIE JACKSON AND EVERY OTHER IDIOT WOULD HAVE BEEN MARCHING SO WITH THAT BEING SAID PRESS CHARGES ON HER DUMB ASS

• Bryant Larsen on April 4, 2016 at 5:36 pm

because you are a black woman, it does not justify the kind of racist intolerant crusade that many white people are victim too. Make an example out of her. Counter-racism is NOT OK!

• martial on April 4, 2016 at 9:37 pm

I am not a Black woman, although it would not bother me to be one. What is being suggested is a bit of common sense. Even the victim has said that all he wants is an apology. That really should suffice.

2. Joel Holmes on April 3, 2016 at 7:52 pm

But a “true threat”, such as the ones uttered by Bonita Tindle IS SUPPOSED TO BE A “crime”–in CA, in WA, and in U.S.A. (Federal law) as a whole. See: Cal. Penal Code Sec. 422; RCW 9A.36.080, RCW 9A.46.020; 18 USCS Sec. 875, etc.

3. Kjk on April 3, 2016 at 10:38 pm

What’s with her queer sidekick?

4. Barry Klob on April 4, 2016 at 11:59 am

She should be fined and discharged from her position.

5. Bryant Larsen on April 4, 2016 at 5:37 pm

Theres a petition now: go to change.org and sign

• Ben Daddyb Lee on October 1, 2016 at 6:29 am

already signed it. get her out of SFSU.

6. mslady269 on April 4, 2016 at 11:37 pm

Aaaah, *face palm* I’m embarrassed by her actions. If a Caucasian kid wants to wear his hair all matted up, who am I to question what he’s doing? I can’t stand closed-minded individuals, but yet everyone is still allowed their opinion. With that, she should have taken her opinion, shut her mouth, let that young man walk past her, then shared her opinion with her trench coat wearing sidekick. This female has possibly ruined her entire future because she took her frustrations out on someone who is likely very non-racist, since he appreciates her culture enough to emulate it.

• Shrijss Do'arn on April 5, 2016 at 4:03 am

Not her culture. That hair style is not unique to any culture.

• mslady269 on April 5, 2016 at 4:17 am

I’m not saying it specifically is, but she believes so. Can’t change how people fee, but she was way out of line in approaching him, period.

• Northern California on April 5, 2016 at 4:57 pm

I agree with you. If she had only thought about what was about to be rained down on her by her actions/words. Because of this incident, I think she will have a tough time for quite awhile. If her sidekick had talked her out of what she was doing. You would think that if anyone could tell her not to pick on someone for their lifestyle it would have been him. However, I’m not so sure that he wasn’t in on the whole thing also. I believe he was audio taping it. Especially the part where she accused Goldstein of putting hands on her. He had his phone out for a reason.b

7. Tiszie on April 7, 2016 at 5:36 am

Im glad this person is pressing charges. I feel that this will be the only for of punishment she gonna receive for attacking a student, cause imo i feel like the university isn’t gonna do shit.

8. Alley Oop on April 7, 2016 at 4:31 pm

She had no right to get in the guy’s face. He can wear whatever style he chooses. It is no worse than black women running around with that damn blonde in their hair. She needs to take several seats and STFU. She needs to mind her business, leave him and others alone and worry about more important issues in the world.
    Signed,
    A Black Person

9. Mr_Sizlak on April 8, 2016 at 9:26 pm

She should be kicked out of the university. She’s clearly a bitch with a closed mind anyway. You see the big stupid grin on her face?! This woman can’t wait to play the minority card!

10. Daniel R. Devereaux on April 12, 2016 at 12:27 am

Lets just stop the lefty on lefty crime people. My safe space is being threatened!

BTW: she has other videos online if you have a strong stomach.

11. Tony Crimson Chin on July 12, 2016 at 9:32 am

“Goldstein has decided not to press changes against Tindle…” In other news, Muhammad Bin Shalal al-Tahib Benwithyamama enjoys the company of transsexual prostitutes while gorging on bacon-wrapped Twinkies.