CDC expert states HIV infection rate in Atlanta as bad as African countries

HIV/AIDS (Photo Credit: shutterstock image)

HIV/AIDS (Photo Credit: shutterstock image)

Recent revelations about the rate of HIV infection by the Centers for Disease Control have shocking implications across Georgia and in Atlanta specifically. According to the CDC, 1 in 51 Georgians will be diagnosed with HIV in their lifetime. A shocking revelation made worse by the statement from Dr. Carlos Del Rio from the Emory University Center for AIDS Research who stated, “Downtown Atlanta is as bad as Zimbabwe or Harare or Durban.”

The study was initially presented by the CDC in February and was called “the first-ever comprehensive national estimates of the lifetime risk of an HIV diagnosis for several key populations at risk and in every state.” In the study, Blacks continue to be the most affected group with 1 in 20 men and 1 in 48 women being diagnosed with HIV in their lifetime.

The other facts presented in the report are sobering:

Diagnosis by state (Photo Credit: CDC)

1) People living in Washington, D.C. (1 in 13), Maryland (1 in 49), Georgia (1 in 51), Florida (1 in 54), Louisiana (1 in 56) and other parts of the region the CDC defines as the South had the highest risk.

2) Men who have sex with men had a 1 in 6 risk while heterosexual men had a 1 in 473 risk.

3) There were marked differences in the risk among men who have sex by men depending on their race or ethnicity. Black men who have sex with men had a 1 in 2 risk, Hispanic men a 1 in 4 risk and white men a 1 in 11 risk.

Overall, the Deep South leads with the highest rate of infection. This combined with Black high unemployment, poverty and lack of healthcare is leading to what is being called “a perfect storm” for AIDS in the Black community. The impact of the drug Truvada has become more relevant as it is the only proven drug that prevents HIV infection. The pill is marketed to young gay men, persons in a relationship with an HIV infected partner and sex workers. From January 2011 to March 2013, over 1,774 people have filled prescriptions for Truvada. This number does not include several thousands who are in clinical trials for Truvada. Surprisingly, 50 percent of the prescriptions issued were for women. The rate of HIV infection is not slowing with over 50K new infections per year. These statistics include over 50 percent of men with a high number of these men being Black.

1. britishrose on May 7, 2016 at 5:01 pm

every illness planted in the USA was planted to derail the production of the black gene spreading to whites there are a hugh percent of mix babies born from 1970s to now and the aide epidemic hit here just like the zika virus and the other one from africa ebola that really didnt come from africa it was link to africans and fed to them first so it will appear it was started over here cleaver ,but some of the smartest white people are paid to plant this stuff . .their called scientist ok , obama knows about this stuff but they have to pretend it aint happening to finish out his term in good white folks standing . one day michelle obama will tell her story . on the other hand all this hiv scare statistic and shit is a lie . . it equal just as many white folks got it as blacks its just that the highest number of blacks in the country live in GAYLANTA .. capital of BLACK TRANNY RUNAWAY DOWNLOWS AND FREAKY BI SEXUALS AND LEBIANS I hear female lesbians dont go to atlanta they go to dallas tx or california to migrate or florida gays are not welcome in all states they know where to go .. .
    im so tired of white coming up with this embarrasssing scores next they will say prince died of HIV .. we know luther vandross did .. for sure .
    but own with something we dont know

• Donna Smith on December 2, 2016 at 10:10 pm

Men on the downlow is spreading HIV to the Black and Hispanic women, its the truth.

• dick green on December 26, 2016 at 4:40 pm

lol You might be the dumbest nigger alive.

• lynn on September 3, 2017 at 8:01 am

It’s not so much south as it is poor communities, and areas where preachers are preaching the gospel but kids are not living it and they don’t fall back on using protection. That’s why high teen pregnancy rates are in the south as well. I hate to break it to but yes black homosexuals are do have a higher risk carrying HIV. In bigger cities like Chicago, LA, and Atlanta, blacks also have a higher prison statistic rate. Prisons have a high rate of spreading the hiv disease. I did work as a counseling assistant inside prisons, and I worked for a black doctor who showed me the health department statistics and everything this report is telling you is truth. Also (incest) molestation is another statistics blacks have the lead on spreading the disease. No I’m not saying blacks are the only race molesting children… I’m saying passing hiv onto another family

2. britishrose on May 7, 2016 at 5:07 pm

LADIES IF YOU GOT A MAN IN ATLANTA AND YOU MET HIM THERE GIRL YOU BETTER RUN LIKE YOUR HAIR ON FIRE!!!!!!!!!!! i got a sister there who married a man whom became a minister anyway he is gay as sweet potatoe pie and lemon merring but you better not say it in front of her she has two older daughter and one of them have a gay bf. so what are you teaching your kids lady ?? in atlanta the women there sees gay lovers as culture and get use to it .. look how cynthia embrassed petter , and pedra appollo , and dont forget classic kim fields she know he man is but has conveinced herself his is not gay ..
    ommmmmm lemmme see … HES GAY GIRL!!!
    ITS OK to be who you are freedom is good but i would not move to atlanta girls if you trying to find a real man . .look at tyler perry of all the place he could of built his studio he pick HOT LANTA? WOW PROOF .. they go down there cause they feel safer to come out .. but if your a celebrity you still cant come right out
    steve harvey!! creflo dollar!!! lmaaaao oop arsenio hall is the only down lower scared to move to atlanta those women down there will out you .. they know who is and who is not …. a statistic read 70 percent of men in atlanta not counting boys are gay!! i believe every time i go down there i see it im not from there but i visit friend there and family and omg its bad yall

• RealTing on May 11, 2016 at 10:40 am

Try being informed instead of just opinionated. You have not posted one shred of EVIDENCE for your claims. Done any research? Got any REAL proof? Bye, Felicia!!

• rb on May 14, 2016 at 1:37 pm

I couldn’t get past the bad grammar and run on sentences. Smh

• dick green on December 26, 2016 at 4:44 pm

That’s how retarded niggers speak and write.

• Anissa Brown on May 18, 2016 at 10:53 am

Lol smh the lbgt community is everywhere and if a woman is sexing a man that’s sexing another man that means he’s bisexual not gay. It also means that’s their business not mine and if they like it i love it. .

• =rites on August 27, 2016 at 11:23 pm

You really should keep a thesaurus and dictionary on hand. In fact, take some refresher courses at your local community college before you decide to post another LONG comment. I don’t know what is more embarrassing; the HIV outbreak in ourcommunity or your post. You do know what the squiggly line under the majority of your words mean right? Sheesh!

3. Satan on May 12, 2016 at 6:42 pm

Please let all the 1/5ths drop dead! If we can get it from 14% of the US to 1% that’d be great!

4. Lizzy Peter on May 30, 2016 at 8:45 am

I am indeed very happy for my life; My name is Lizzy Peter, I
    never thought that I will live on earth before the year runs out. I have
    been suffering from a deadly disease (HIV) for the past 3 years now; I
    had spent a lot of money going from one places to another, from churches
    to churches, hospitals have been my every day residence. Constant
    checks up have been my hobby not until last Month, I was searching
    through the internet, I saw a testimony on how DR. Ahmed helped someone
    in curing her HIV disease, quickly I copied his email which is
    ([email protected]).I spoke to him, he asked me to do some certain
    things which I did, he told me that he is going to provide the herbal
    to me, which he did, then he asked me to go for medical checkup after
    some days after using the herbal cure, I was free from the deadly
    disease, he only asked me to post the testimony through the whole world,
    faithfully am doing it now, please brothers and sisters, he is great, I
    owe him in my life. if you are having a similar problems just email
    him on ([email protected]) or simply whatsapp him on:
    +2348134172763. He can also cure disease like Cancer, Diabeties, Herpes.
    Etc. You can reach me on email: [email protected]..]

5. Lizzy Peter on June 16, 2016 at 6:29 am

I am very happy for my life; My name is Lizzy Peter, I never thought that I will live on earth before the year runs out. I have been suffering from a deadly disease (HIV) for the past 3 years now; I had spent a lot of money going from one places to another, from churches to churches, hospitals have been my every day residence. Constant checks up have been my hobby not until last Month, I was searching through the internet, I saw a testimony on how DR. Ahmed helped someone in curing her HIV disease, quickly I copied his email which is ([email protected]).I spoke to him, he asked me to do some certain things which I did, he told me that he is going to provide the herbal to me, which he did, then he asked me to go for medical checkup after some days after using the herbal cure, I was free from the deadly disease, he only asked me to post the testimony through the whole world, faithfully am doing it now, please brothers and sisters, he is great, I owe him in my life. if you are having a similar problems just email him on ([email protected]) or simply whatsapp him on: +2348134172763. He can also cure disease like Cancer, Diabeties, Herpes. Etc. You can reach me on email: [email protected]

6. Doc Jonh on October 20, 2016 at 5:41 am

I’m doc jonh, i help mike cole who contracted HIV in 2015, he was told by my doctor that there’s no possible cure for HIV. he started taking ARV’s, CD4 was 77 and viral load was 112,450. he saw a my website of Dr. jonh, also he saw a lot of testimonials about me on how i uses herbal medicine to cure HIV. he contacted me and told me his problems, i sent him the herbal medicine and he took it for 4 days after then he went for check-up and he was cured. The medicine has NO SIDE EFFECT, there’s no special diet when taking the medicine. He also cure DIABETES, EX BACK, ALS, HEPATITIS B, CANCER, HERPES and lots more. You can reach him on: [email protected] just let me help you out first i have four defference herb medicine for HIV it depend on how long you have contracted the AIDS for please i can help give me a chance i show you the power of my herbs

• dick green on December 26, 2016 at 4:56 pm

LOL This old jigaboo days he can cure AIDS. Colored are so dumb.

7. Donna Smith on December 2, 2016 at 10:07 pm

Aids won’t kill but other diseases that HIV brings you during your duress will. Be very frightened