Off-duty cop opens fire on teens for stepping on lawn

Cop pulls gun on teen in Anaheim, California (Photo Source: YouTube Screen shot)

Cop pulls gun on teen in Anaheim, California (Photo source: YouTube screenshot)

An off-duty cop went too far over his lawn in Los Angles and has now sparked protests. Video has emerged of a group of teens in a confrontation with a man who was angry that they were stepping on his grass. Harsh words were exchanged between the man and the teens, and then he suddenly grabs a 13-year-old boy and pulls a gun from his waistband. As the teens rush to the aid of their friend, the gun is discharged but no one is hit.

According to media reports, the unidentified cop stated that the teen he grabbed said he was going to shoot him. However, the teen claims that he said he was going to sue him, not shoot him. When the gun is fired the group of teens tried to flee the area as other officers arrived at the scene. The teens, who were all unarmed, were detained and two were arrested. The incident escalated when the off-duty cop allegedly called a female member of the group a “c–t” sparking the melee. Later that evening, a group of protesters gathered in the area and chanted “Whose streets, our streets,” “Don’t shoot our kids,” “Shame on you,” as well as “No justice, no peace and  f— the police.”

The Anaheim Police Department posted the following message to its Facebook page:

“There is a large protest developing in the area of Euclid and Palais regarding yesterday’s Officer Involved Shooting involving an off-duty LAPD officer. A Tactical Alert has been initiated. Avoid the area until further notice. Peaceful protests are perfectly acceptable, but acts of violence and vandalism will not be tolerated.”

The crowd turned violent and began to throw rocks and bottles at the police who responded to the protest. Someone painted “F— the pigs” on a garage door of one of the houses, but it did not belong to the officer at the center of the disturbance. The Anaheim, California, police have reported that at least 24 people were arrested on charges that include failure to disperse, resisting arrest, and battery on a peace officer.

The police department then posted to Facebook “The protest on Palais has been declared an unlawful assembly. The Anaheim Police Department Helicopter is giving dispersal orders from the air. Protesters who refuse to disperse will be subject to arrest.”

A man identified Johnny Dorscht, the teen’s father stated to media “I’m pretty p***ed off about what happened. You could talk to anybody; my son has very good manners. He does good in school and isn’t disrespectful or anything like that. We’re going to find legal representation and be suing. This is B.S. Even the cops when they got there, they had all the kids down. They didn’t even go after the guy.”

The off-duty officer in question was not arrested and the police posted the following update on Facebook:

“UPDATE REGARDING OFF-DUTY LAPD OIS: A special telephone number has been created for those who want to comment on this event. The number is 714-765-7990. The Anaheim Police Department Homicide Detail is investigating the criminal culpability of the off-duty police officer, as well as the juveniles involved. The videos posted online do not depict the entire event. Our job is to collect all of the facts and evidence to present the clearest and most accurate information to the District Attorney’s Office as they make their decision on the filing of criminal charges. As far as the officer’s employment status, he does not work for our agency, but the LAPD is completing its own investigation into the actions of their officer. We have received reports of planned protests. Peaceful protests in accordance with the law are perfectly acceptable. Acts of violence or vandalism will not be tolerated.”

Anaheim Mayor Tom Tait said there will be a “thorough, impartial” investigation into the incident. “… Like many in the community, I’ve seen the video and I’m very concerned about what it shows. Anaheim is committed to a full and impartial investigation. Our city will move forward without delay.”

1. Chuck on February 23, 2017 at 10:29 am

If this non-sense happened at the shooter’s house, why didn’t the “respectful” kids just go home and get off of the man’s property? In addition to that question, why weren’t the shooter detained and booked?

• Janet Clarke on February 24, 2017 at 1:18 am

I profited $104,000 in last 12 months by doing an online job a­­n­­d I did it by work­ing part time for several hrs each day. I used a business opportunity I stumbled upon from this website i found online and I am so thrilled that I was able to earn so much money. It’s so user-friendly a­n­d I am just so blessed that I found out about it. This is what i did… please visit my account for webpage

2. Jason on February 23, 2017 at 10:33 am

This suspected White Supremacists should be arrested immediately and subject to dismissal from the police force.

• pedroltdm on February 23, 2017 at 8:28 pm

And he’s a white supremacists on what grounds. Did he use racial slurs? For all I know you could be right, but until there are facts that this guy is racist dont go throw that word around. You make it lose meaning. Because when something like this happens again, and it was racial people are just going to say, there goes the race card again and might not take it as serious.
      (The Boy Who Cried Wolf)

Yes the cop is a scum
      If he did call a kid a b****, c*** and whatever profanity he use in front of minors. (That should get him fired because that shouldn’t represent cops)
      and if he did go chase him down after they left. He should be fired

• Jason on February 25, 2017 at 1:29 pm

I don’t take anything back. Too many of you cry about wanting to wait until all the “facts” come in. Too bad you don’t take that same stance when a Black man is the accused. All your “ifs” about the stupid cop are pointless also. He was reckless discharging his weapon. He was reckless grabbing the kid and physically restraining him. Hopefully he is beheaded.

• pedroltdm on March 13, 2017 at 10:25 pm

I’m half Black and half Mexican. So don’t tell me, that I don’t take stances for my people. Yes. I’ve been racially profiled at times.
          It sounds to me like your racaist. From what you just wrote, every white cop is a racist. How would anything get better if everyone thought like that.

• Jason on March 15, 2017 at 10:15 am

I guess they do as things haven’t gotten better. So….

3. Guest on February 23, 2017 at 11:14 am

The average citizen that discharges his weapon is arrested on the spot.

• Whiteguy on February 23, 2017 at 4:23 pm

Negative. If it was a negligent discharge due to being pushed around he would not be charged. Plenty of people have put holes in their own house by accident and it is not a criminal charge.

4. Travis Moore on February 23, 2017 at 1:16 pm

Here is the wiki page for the cop, apparently. He lives down the street from the shooting location…

• pedroltdm on February 23, 2017 at 8:50 pm

Ok. So! Whats the point and reposting his address? Is it to have people stalk and send him death threats; and or destroy property and maybe destroy neighbor’s property like last night? Which might get them arrested. But you don’t carry, “An eye for eye.” “They go low we go lower”

Or ( I doubt it)

Did you post his address to organize a peaceful protest, where they’ll be no violence and the neighbors can go about their life someone normal because they probably have nothing do with what happen ( what time, and i hope you did all your due diligence with the city to have an organized protest) , because the cops are just going to shut it down

Everyone knows he lives near the incident
      P.S. i think he should be fired

5. Mason Youngblood on February 23, 2017 at 1:26 pm

I can’t tell you how much I love working in my yard to beautify it and how many times a group of teens step in my yard but I would never pull a gun..it’s grass..it always grows back..your freedom on the other hand..well…

• Whiteguy on February 23, 2017 at 4:24 pm

He pulled the gun because the teens started to form a stronger group and began to push on him. He sensed the situation was escalating. You are allowed to pull a gun to get up the speed on a developing situation.

• Mason Youngblood on February 23, 2017 at 8:43 pm

You weren’t there..I wasn’t there…let’s not base facts on hearsay…

• Whiteguy on February 24, 2017 at 5:53 pm

How about we base it on the video?????

Clearly shows other teens running up and pushing the older guy around.

Get a clue. The vid was out the same time the story broke.

• Mason Youngblood on February 25, 2017 at 12:34 pm

He’s a “teen” though..easily provoked because he’s a minor..so does it surprise you?..don’t tell me that you were “the model citizen” as a teen…

• Whiteguy on February 25, 2017 at 7:00 pm

we a can say i never ran up to a cop and pushed him over a hedge. Which is what was shown in the video.

And that is why there is such a thing as a Juvenal record. Punishment is still needed when the line is crossed.

• Mason Youngblood on February 27, 2017 at 12:39 pm

You never got verbally threatened by the police as a teen either..

• Whiteguy on February 28, 2017 at 6:03 am

Never committed a crime either.

• Mason Youngblood on February 28, 2017 at 8:50 am

Ok then how would you EVEN know ANYTHING about being confronted by police?…you just discredited everything you said prior.

• Whiteguy on February 28, 2017 at 6:18 pm

I have taken deadly force classes with cops as a part of my job and so I understand the way it works and what is allowed or not allowed.

I also have a CC license and so know what is legal with that.

I also carried a gun in the military and understood those rules of engagement.

• Mason Youngblood on February 28, 2017 at 6:46 pm

All of those credentials only make you an educated fool if you think you know the mentally of EVERY cop.

• Whiteguy on March 1, 2017 at 6:08 pm

Not the point that was being discussed. I simply said he had reason to pull the gun due to the escalating force against him.

• Mason Youngblood on March 4, 2017 at 12:52 pm

..and I’m trying to figure out how you would know this “reason” unless you were there to really know what events occurred because cops lie as well as suspects..

• Whiteguy on March 4, 2017 at 2:21 pm

There is a video of the whole incident all over the internet. It shows the kids ganging up on him and one runs up and pushes him over a hedge to try and break his punk friend free.

You can use your own eyes and figure it out rather than being a baby that needs everything spoon fed to him.

I have no idea if the cop even made a statement. Simply watch the video.

• Mason Youngblood on March 5, 2017 at 10:01 am

A cropped video with poor audio and actually being there are two different things but you go ahead and believe what you want.

• Whiteguy on March 6, 2017 at 6:03 pm

I believe what the video shows. You go ahead and put your head in the sand.

• Mason Youngblood on March 6, 2017 at 9:42 pm

How do you know that he hasn’t provoked them many times before the video? You don’t know which is why you don’t have the authority to say the teens are the only ones guilty here.

• Whiteguy on March 7, 2017 at 6:11 am

Every event is an individual event. Just like the Zimmerman case, he may have been the initial aggressor but then he disengaged and became the victim. At that point it was legal for him to shoot Travon.

Authority…where is your authority?

I did not say only one was guilty I said he had a right to pull the gun.

Has he been charged?

• Mason Youngblood on March 7, 2017 at 1:42 pm

Listen to you..”Zimmerman may have been the initial aggressor BUT..”..there is no ‘but’..if you start something then you brought whatever happens on yourself..if he just let Trayvon Martin continue to walk home( which is not and should NEVER be a crime) then everything would have been fine..same here.. if the cop would have just let these teens continue walking after they maybe accidentally came of the sidewalk into his grass ( which ALSO is not a crime) then this cop would still have a normal life. Non-crimes need not lead to provoking unless the provoker has inner hatred,bias,problems, etc. Which is obvious in both of the cases mentioned.

• Whiteguy on March 7, 2017 at 6:00 pm

You are crazy.

Accidentally stepped off the sidewalk.

sure and the terrorists didn’t actually cut someones head off the prisoner slipped and cut his own head off.

• Mason Youngblood on March 8, 2017 at 7:38 am

You’re comparing apples to oranges. Terrorists and teens stepping on grass that grows back are not a comparison…and yes accidentally..I’m sure you have heard of people losing their footing..or maybe these teens are not good enough to make excuses for but if you can make an excuse(“but”) for Zimmerman who initiated something senseless that led to a violent act then certainly I can make an excuse for these teens who just stepped on..grass…

• Whiteguy on March 8, 2017 at 5:45 pm

What I said about Zimmerman was backed up by a jury and a judge.

• Mason Youngblood on March 9, 2017 at 1:20 pm

Gay marriage is backed by judges but does that make it right?…

• Whiteguy on March 12, 2017 at 9:40 am

No but your example was not backed by a jury.

• Mason Youngblood on March 12, 2017 at 12:10 pm

You’re talking about a jury and I’m talking about Supreme Court judges..think about it..

• Whiteguy on March 13, 2017 at 6:15 pm

I am talking about judges and juries made up of ones peers. Nothing gets to the Supreme Court without passing through the first 2.

Get a clue.

• Mason Youngblood on March 14, 2017 at 7:19 pm

None of the jury were young, black teenagers to be a peer of BOTH sides(Zimmerman AS WELL AS Martin) so you can take a jury for what it’s worth to YOU.

• Whiteguy on March 15, 2017 at 6:24 pm

He still beat the charges. You cannot rewrite history no matter how much you do not like it.

• Mason Youngblood on March 15, 2017 at 7:50 pm

Emmit Till’s white murderers beat the charges and confessed to the killing to Look Magazine afterward which goes back to my statement..really how accurate is a jury when they are not made up of the defendant’s AND the platiff’s peers? The scales of justice have been leaning to one side for a long time because it’s been ok with most for the defendant to have a jury of his/her peers only when the victim(plantiff) is the one looking for justice..so you go ahead and put your faith in a so-called ‘jury’.

• Whiteguy on March 16, 2017 at 6:08 pm

Well having had to serve jury duty it is not hard to see the blacks do not bother to show up or are so incompetent that they do not get on the jury. We whites are tires of having to go down town to solve your crime issues.

• Mason Youngblood on March 17, 2017 at 1:44 am

When you put ALL Blacks in one pot with your biased comment and admit you served on a jury you have 100% PROVENED the point that have been trying to make to you that a jury can be incompetent and one-sided. Thanks.

• Whiteguy on March 17, 2017 at 6:02 am

Not me on trial.

Dodge all you want.

The idea that everyone in prison is innocent is ridiculous.

And your point fails because it takes all 12 to agree not just one.

And I did not say “all” blacks. I said blacks so again you fail.

The cop in this situation still has not been charged with anything.

He did not “open fire” on the teens, he pulled a gun and had a negligent discharge. Not the same thing. The title of this story is as ridiculous as your law thoughts are.

• Mason Youngblood on March 17, 2017 at 3:30 pm

The idea that you say ‘Blacks’ and try to make it sound like you’re not referring to all blacks is ridiculous. That’s like me saying, “I don’t like cats because of pet dandruff”..do you honestly think that whomever I’m talking to would think,”Oh, he doesn’t mean ALL cats. Ridiculous. Also, it only takes one to make it a ‘hung jury’. I’m sure that should have been explained to you before serving on jury duty.

• Whiteguy on March 18, 2017 at 10:09 am

Pay attention and learn something. A hung jury does not send anyone to prison. When a jury deadlocks and the prosecutor decides to re try the case a new jury is picked.

• Mason Youngblood on March 18, 2017 at 12:26 pm

That’s exactly what I meant..that one biased juror like you who made the deadlock could potentially cause an innocent man or woman to be retried with doubt that they are innocent because that one biased person in the previous juror saw some sort of guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.

• Whiteguy on March 18, 2017 at 2:23 pm

Still would only trigger a retrial. No prison time results. You are still trying to push the wrong side of your argument = fail.

• Mason Youngblood on March 19, 2017 at 10:28 am

You are putting the cart before the horse..Prison time is yet to be seen before the retrial. I shouldn’t have to explain simplistic things like that to you.

• Whiteguy on March 19, 2017 at 3:37 pm

Well we can try it this way…if i am raciest and they ask me to serve jury duty then how about this…don’t ask me to serve. It is a hassle to go down to the inner city and serve. For some reason I always get stuck with federal jury duty not local court.

Or as a veteran do not ask me for more of my service to the country. I did my time and I am not interested anymore.

That will keep me out of the system so you do not have to cry over a criminals rights.

And get this, I have never in any of the jury picking times been asked if I was raciest or not prior to serving. They do not care.

• Mason Youngblood on March 20, 2017 at 5:56 am

I don’t know how many times I have to drive the point home that juries are not an accurate way to serve justice..You even said that they don’t care if you are a racist..but that is the only point that I have been trying to make and the point that you have once again proved by saying that they don’t care if you are a racist. Juries may be part of the justice system that we can do nothing about but it still doesn’t mean that the system is fair and just for all people but Goodbye and God bless you.

• Whiteguy on March 21, 2017 at 6:43 pm

As if a bleeding heart saying give them no punishment is better.

Go fly a kite.

6. Whiteguy on February 23, 2017 at 4:25 pm

Punk kids showing no respect.

7. Stopdisrespect on February 23, 2017 at 9:59 pm

This was an ADULT who most likely got tired of disrespectful kids walking in his yard. My assumption is he iives by the school. He told them to get off his lawn. THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN IT, GET OFF you disrespectful HOODLUMS!! So instead the punk has to assault the Homeowner (who happened to be a Police Officer). The kid LIES saying he was tackled. There is nothing on the tape showing he is tackled. Anyone who know football knows what a tackle is. Then after assaulting the Officer the Officer grabs hold of him waiting for the cops to come. The kid is now scared and wants to be let go after he should have just got off private property and kept his disrespectful mouth shut. Then the other kids got involved and the 4th kid assaulted that Officer. All 4 should be up on charges. My dad would have black and blued my butt had I ever been so disrespectful. This has nothing to do with racism, ridiculous!!!! It has to do with the youth of this country especially young boys who viewing disrespect and violence in may facets of their lives and are now mimicking this behavior. When we have less and less men/women joining the Police Dept. who is going to defend the anarchy in this country!!!!!!

8. La Fiera on March 11, 2017 at 11:32 am

He’s a loser who shouldn’t even be allowed to be holding a gun let alone a badge. If he gets this angry over a freaking lawn and treats a 14 years old, can you imagine how he treats adults. He was the only that should be arrested. Who cares if the kid said “I am going to kill you.” He was half his size, no weapons, but his backpack. Plus the idiot is a cop for Christ sakes. It doesn’t get better than this, his a cop, someone who has training I resolving this type of matter in a very different way. Loooooooser.