Laverne Cox almost ‘killed’ in abusive relationship

Photo credit: Splash Media/ Laverne Cox

Orange is the New Black” actress Laverne Cox has bravely opened up about an abusive ex-boyfriend and their toxic relationship, which almost “killed” her.

The actress regrets staying with an alcoholic partner for such a long time, but admitted her self-worth was so low, she couldn’t imagine anyone else ever loving her.

In the new issue of Grazia,  proud transwoman Laverne said, “My biggest regret is that I dated an emotionally abusive alcoholic for four years. I believed that because I was Black and trans, he was the only man who would ever love me. The relationship almost killed me.”

The 33-year-old star has also experimented with online dating in the past, but had a terrible experience when she met up with a guy she’d been messaging for months, and he had nothing to say to her beyond a sexual proposition.

She recalled, “Years ago I was on OKCupid. I had an hour and a half to finally meet this guy for a drink — I’d been talking to him for months.

“He arrived and looked nothing like his pictures but I persevered. I realized I was doing all the talking. I hate that, and he said, ‘I’m just imagining being back at your apartment naked.’

“I looked at him, took $20 out from my purse and said, ‘I’m going to go now. Have a nice day.'”

Laverne is proud to be an inspiration to other transgender people.

Asked what she’s most proud of, she said, “That through my work I’ve inspired others to live more authentically as themselves and to transition. A lot of people tell me they’ve been inspired by my story.”

The Doubt actress also admitted she has learned how to move around unrecognized, but doesn’t want to reveal her disguise, as her cover will be blown.

She said, “I have an incognito way of moving through the world, and everybody makes fun of me for it. But I’m not going to tell you what it is, otherwise I won’t be incognito.”

1. Encourehonoree on June 7, 2017 at 8:09 am

Confusion on another level, but that’s ok, we will all have to give an account of our lives to God

• Zumani Monet on June 9, 2017 at 12:38 pm

Maybe the people who believe in a man made Bible are the ones confused.

• Jack on June 18, 2017 at 6:52 pm

Maybe the people who don’t notice the prophecies centered around Israel unfolding in our modern times, things set for the end times & happening in the middle east are the real ones being confused.

Open your eyes & read your Bible, cause we are in the end times.

• Zumani Monet on June 19, 2017 at 12:45 am

How many times in our life time and before we were ever born we heard the end was near or was going to happen?

• James on June 18, 2017 at 6:55 pm

DNA never lies.
      Only ever XX/XY.
      And yet, here is an XY pretending to be an XX…

Does the vomit get any worse?
      Bible says the devil is the author of confusion.
      And, these people spreading confusion are definitely not of God.

God’s word says he only created M & F, not M that becomes F or vice versa.
      All this other satanic drivel is nothing but lies.

2. TheDOTKU on June 7, 2017 at 2:59 pm

Lol!! I went on one of those dates because the guy was offering a Rammstein ticket and I think he could tell as soon as I got there he was a dorky dude who lied about his height by 6″ and I kept running into people I knew who were telling me I could have hung out with the band the night before if I had gone out, so it just wasn’t going to work out with him. ;D

3. sugarntasty on July 9, 2017 at 3:25 pm

Darling Ms.Superficial whom representing yeah,Laverne now ideal Transwoman where effort speak. Not against identity nor social segregation empowerment” of LGBTQ rainbow solidarity. Honey so many Transwomen and Queer had social fears and tears prior relationships what? Not only person encountering “ordeals which been revealed…Laverne your spokestransperson”…do favor rallies of (forums) upon scholarships,employment,adoption and social equality. Forgotten your renowned “Transwoman” whom commercial publicity bringing attention to yourself I know Laverne. Call me envious “Tart” your bust implants not becoming…Laverne whom attracted to men or transwomen where disputing. Agenda among BLU men I support diversity refuse to date Transwomen,gotten to become arrogance between two! Laverne affluent “transwoman” able to purchase estates of great,taste while majority of “transwomen” of color living poverty. This not your choice when exclaim your,spokes person are you sure you haven’t endure what you say? Laverne we all experience “problematic” relationships your no better cleaver able purchase best lawyers! Laverne did inform audience own 2 homes San Francisco paid cash where,Presidio Heights and Woodside,CA your neighborhoods not doing LGBTQ society favors. Due gentrification whom? EJ jr.Zachery Quinto,Ellen, Paris Barclay,Anderson Cooper,Lee Daniels and Mama Carter Jay Z mom living good life in Bay area where once respect society is gentrified! Laverne member of “GLAAD” whom continue belittling…diversity inequality within “stratified” LGBTQ society. Laverne gotten Hollywood Ms.Vanity! Criticism shall influence equality or only publicity for your career darling!