Chipotle location still open after hundreds sickened; investigators baffled

Image source: Twitter – @ChipotleTweets

Once again there is news of a massive outbreak of a foodborne illness related to Chipotle. At least 324 people and counting reported a wide range of symptoms after eating at a Powell, Ohio, store. Customers started logging onto the website iwaspoisend.com and reported the not-so-pleasant aftereffects of their dining experience.

One user wrote on Aug. 6, 2018:

Location: Chipotle Mexican Grill, Sawmill Parkway, Powell, Ohio, USA

Report Type: Food Poisoning

Symptoms: Diarrhea Fever Vomiting

“Details: Ate Burrito bowl on Friday night, went to bed, skipped breakfast next morning nausea, devolved into hours of near constant diarrhea, vomiting and fever. Incidents of random diarrhea lasted for several days, instantly nauseated if tried to eat food. Was able to keep food down four days later and felt completely recovered by Thursday night.”

Soon, a string of similar posts followed from others:

“We ate there Sunday night 7/29/18. Felt fine on Monday morning. But Monday evening mild stomach cramps. Tuesday much more several stomach Cramps and lethargy. Today, Wednesday, horrid cramps, diarrhea, lethargy and nausea. I had a bowl with white rice, chicken.”

“I ate a bowl around 5 pm on Saturday. By 5 am on Sunday I was having diarrhea, was very nauseated and extremely dehydrated. The stomach issues have persisted, still showing symptoms Tuesday night. 3 days after exposure.”

“Now we know what caused diarrhea our 4 yr old granddaughter and daughter after visiting the zoo! She had the kid’s meal Chicken Quesadilla with Sour Cream Rice and beans. Daughter had the Chicken Burrito bowl.”

At least 107 people posted comments on the site. Business Insider magazine was first to report on the outbreak and response.

Health inspectors found numerous temperature violations and the restaurant was closed to allow the issues to be addressed. Since the initial report, Delaware Health District officials soon became aware of more cases and according to the Daily Mail, 624 people suffered stomach problems after eating at the restaurant last month. Making it larger than the national outbreak that sickened 100 in 2015 and shut down the restaurant chain temporarily as they focused on food safety.

Tests for salmonella, shigella, E.coli and norovirus have come back negative and officials are still trying to find the source of the current outbreak. The restaurant closed for one day and has reponed.

Mo Barnes
Mo Barnes

Maurice "Mo" Barnes is a graduate of Morehouse College and Political Scientist based in Atlanta. Mo is also a Blues musician. He has been writing for Rolling Out since 2014. Whether it means walking through a bloody police shooting to help a family find justice or showing the multifaceted talent of the Black Diaspora I write the news.

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required