Summer break is quickly coming to an end, and it’s time for college students to start moving onto campus. As you stroll through the store to gather your snacks for your dorm room, pick up these healthy snacks to keep that summer physique well into the school year.
1. Trail mix. When choosing the healthiest option for trail mix, a mixture of nuts and dried fruit gives you a salty and sweet option to snack on while away at school. Nuts, such as almonds, walnuts, and cashews will give you the fiber and protein you need to continue your day.
2. Oatmeal. Even though oatmeal is usually a breakfast staple, it’s also a good treat to snack on during the day. Keep a couple of instant oatmeal packets to relieve your hunger while getting the fiber and protein that you need.
3. Popcorn. Microwave popcorn can be healthy for you as long as you don’t add high-calorie ingredients to the mix. So, leave out the extra butter and candy, such as M&Ms.
4. Whole wheat crackers. With creamy toppings, such as peanut butter or spread cheese, whole wheat crackers are a hardy snack to eat in your dorm room or take with you on your way to class.
5. Granola Bars. Finding the type of granola bars that are considered “healthy” can get a little tricky. Pick low-calorie bars with natural ingredients instead of those containing high levels of sugar.
6. Dark Chocolate. If you have a sweet tooth, dark chocolate is the most health-conscious option to satisfy it. Many well-known candy brands, such as Hershey’s, have dark chocolate options.
7. Greek yogurt. Whether you get the individual cups or the large container, you can find greek yogurt, such as Chobani, in a variety of flavors. You can also add your choice of fruit and granola to add a little extra to this high in calcium snack.