10 reasons Fitz is not the one for Olivia Pope

Oliva Pope and FitzAs exciting as it has been for many women to envision the President of the United States, even as fictional as Fitzgerald Thomas Grant III is, stepping out on his wife, especially a manipulative and conniving one like Mellie, and risking it all, the presidency, for his self-proclaimed one true love, Olivia Pope, the reality is Fitz is nothing special. Yes, some men are married to the wrong woman and find the right one at inopportune times, but POTUS Fitzgerald Grant is not one of them. There are 10 huge reasons Fitz, POTUS aside, is not the man for Olivia Pope. –ronda racha penrice
Oliva Pope, Fitz and Amanda Tanner1) He’s cheated before. Olivia is not the first woman with whom Fitz has stepped out on his wife. Remember Amanda Tanner? Or better yet, Fitz telling Olivia that she left him vulnerable, implying she was the reason he was weak against Amanda?

olivia2
2) He is stalking Olivia. In recent episodes, Olivia’s life has come into danger, but prior to this legitimate danger Fitz had used the full weight of his presidency to pursue Olivia, although she repeatedly demanded that he stop. If it were any other man, there would be a restraining order against him.

Pages: 1 2 3 4

1. lindsay larson on June 8, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Bravo..thanks for shining some daylight on what Fitz is really all about. He’s no one’s dream man. He whines more than little Teddy, too.

2. lala on June 8, 2013 at 6:02 pm

Are we watching the same show?

3. Torri Oats on June 9, 2013 at 12:58 am

I can’t. I just cannot. I wonder if you even watch the show. While one or two points may be valid, and I’m certainly willing to debate the validity, most of this doesn’t even make sense within the context of the show.

4. Hope on June 9, 2013 at 1:19 am

It’s obvious that this was written by someone who doesn’t watch the show or doesn’t understand what they are watching. Olivia has an assassin on her payroll, Cyrus has ordered at least one killing and was planning to kill his husband, yet Fitz is unlovable because he killed the dying woman who not only had him shot four times but also killed a young mother. And Huck is a much beloved character who took great pleasure in killing others, but Fitz is the bad guy?Okay!! And Mellie and Fitz’s relationship is the definition of dysfunctional and she is disrespectful to him–is he not owed her respect as her husband and the father of her children or does respect only go one way? Lastly, Fitz has offered and attempted to leave his wife numerous times for Olivia and each time she has intervened to protect his presidency. I’ll also state that given the number of characters on television who are engaged in extramarital affairs, it’s quite interesting that the only relationship that seems to inspire such moralistic whining, is Olivia and Fitz. I wonder why that is..not really.

• Debbie Jones on June 10, 2013 at 9:24 pm

I don’t think Fitz is unlovable because he’s a murderer. I think the point the writer was making is that Olivia can do much better than Fitz. I think she was saying Fitz is not capable of loving anyone. Fitz didn’t leave Mellie when Olivia chose her team over him. Instead, he went back to Mellie, the person he claims not to love. Fitz went back to Mellie out of expediency. I imagine this is the same reason he has stayed married to her for the past 20 years. Fitz is a politician and he likes being president. He killed Verna to protect his presidency and he went back to Mellie for the same reason. While for some marital infidelity is a moral issue, to me it is an issue of character. Fitz is weak. He wasn’t leaving Mellie because he no longer loved her. He was leaving her for another woman. A strong person ends one relationship before committing to another. With that said. This story is not about Fitz’ choices. It’s about the ones Olivia makes. I suppose my question is why does Olivia think must be devastating and painful? What in her background makes her want a relationship like that?

5. [email protected] on June 9, 2013 at 7:19 pm

Hope,

We all know why….(roll eyes)

6. Akeele Hughes on June 13, 2013 at 1:26 am

Well I agree with SOME of this. However I don’t agree with number 1. We’re only in season 2. We haven’t really gotten any back story on their relationship.

7. Guest on June 20, 2013 at 3:35 pm

1 – yes sadly we remember Amanda Tanner. He did step out again. Wrong move, bad Fitz. But I don’t think he was blaming Liv for it,
    he said he was hurt that she left and admitted to it being a mistake. That doesn’t mean he blamed her for it.

2 – Stalker, schmalker .
    Stalking is usually by someone that doesn’t want the attention. Liv does, but she knows it’s not the right thing. Do I think he is a bit obsessive?
    Of course, that’s part of his charm, lol.

3 – Self-centered? Fitz? I wish. This is not Mellie’s first time doing something outrageous and Fitz was correct. When a child throws a tantrum you do not react to it. Doing so will make them think it is cool to do it all the time to get what they want.

4 – Oh please. Fitz loves him some Olivia. He does not want
    her to be hurt/scrutinized – howbeiteva – you sleep w/ the POTUS you will have POTUS results. Regardless to if he wants her in the public eye or not, it will happen.

5 – Now I agree. Sometimes he does go straight for the jugular w/ Mellie. He sets out to be cruel to her. Now sometimes she does bring it on herself, but he can go overboard and it is frustration for being married to her and loving someone else – and (wait for it) his wife KNOWING about it. He doesn’t respect her and I believe that is one of the reasons why. Almost like he wants to tell her to catch a clue. Ijs.

6 – I’m so tired of this murder situation coming up. What part of THE HEFFA PAID TO HAVE HIM KILLED don’t people get? I’m sorry. If I was in his position, I would have probably done the same and he did show mercy in it. he wasn’t vicious. I would have been punching, choking…

7 – Whatever. From George Washington to Barack Obama, President’s have been using their weight to get what they want. Both personally and
    professionally. That is one of the perks of being POTUS. SS is there to do what he physically can’t do. If he weren’t POTUS, he’d could be at her door knocking instead of SS. But being POTUS he can’t. Being he can’t do that he has to use what he has at his disposal to do.

8 – He was jealous. Puddn had his woman. Nuff said.

9 – The Kids. Fitz loves his kids. I’m sure he has thought about how it would affect them. Yet the reality is people break up, divorce etc.
    It even touches the POTUS.

10 – He knows Liv. I’m sure he knows every little detail necessary about the Glads. Point being they were on the campaign trail assisting – remember that? He knew how long she dated/lived w/ Puddn, that she swam in High School. Hell we can’t name her parents names – and I
    honestly do not think that came up so why ask that dumb question?

• Fitzvert on June 20, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Well, “Guest” – you shoulda left us your name, bc you KILLED IT!! LOL. Scandal is full of characters you love to hate, some that you may even hate to love. Fitz is about the only one you love to love. The man is IN EPIC LOVE and he can’t help but wear it like his skin, all day, every day.

8. Felicia Addison on June 20, 2013 at 3:54 pm

2 – Stalker, schmalker .
    Of course, that’s part of his charm, lol.

4 – Oh please. Fitz loves him some Olivia. He does not want

8 – He was jealous. Puddn had his woman. Nuff said.

It even touches the POTUS.

honestly do not think that came up so why ask that dumb question?

9. Team Olitz on August 1, 2013 at 1:15 am

I understand where you are coming from on this article but I must strongly disagree. For starters, Mellie and Fitz’s marriage was a political marriage. Mellie was bought to marry, breed with, and groom Fitz for the day he would run for presidency. Their marriage was not entered into out of love. Secondly, Over and over again from season 1 you hear Mellie complaining about how she gave up her law career for Fitz, had children for Fitz. Not once do you hear her speak of the children as if they are hers, theirs, she speaks of the children as if they came as part of her job requirement as Fitz’s wife. Third, Mellie knew about the affair between Fitz and Olivia. Mellie didn’t love Fitz and she was probably glad that she no longer had to have sex with a man that she did not love. Olivia was taking care of that part until she (as Mellie put it) “Fell Down on the job and left Fitz broken hearted and vulnerable” by growing a conscience about sleeping with a married man. The only thing that Mellie loves is being the FLOTUS. If Liv and Fitz were to get together, all of that would be over for Mellie. Therefore, the fame and status she has grown accustomed to is at risk while Liv is in the picture. It was great for Mellie when she thought it was just a sleazy romance. Once she found out it was true love, Mellie’s jealousy and greed was cause for her to intervene. She didn’t do it out of love for Fitz or for the welfare of her children. Mellie wasn’t crying because she was happy Fitz loved her again, she teared up during S2 finale because her spot as FLOTUS was secure. Fourth, Liv loves Fitz and Fitz loves Liv. That is why after pushing Fitz away over and over again, Fitz finally let her go. They were separated until Fitz was shot. That made them both realize that life is too short to not be with the one you truly love. Fifth, yes Fitz killed Verna. The woman that attempted to assassinate him because of her refusal to admit to her own illegal activity. He did so so save both of their reputations. He didn’t want Verna to be held under the Patriot Act like Huck was while she was on her death bed. Verna’s death was a mercy killing. Sixth, yes Fitz has Tom and Hal stand outside the door while he visits with Liv. Would they not be doing the same thing if he were at the White House or Burger King? They are hired to be his shadow no matter where he is day or night. He also bargained with them in S1 because he wanted to see Liv but did not want to jeopardize the nation’s economy to do so. He bargained his way from full secret service detail to two agents, a bullet proof car, and an ambulance on standby. He would have spent more money on secret service detail going to Dairy Queen for an ice cream! Seventh, Liv was good for Fitz. She not only kept him grounded, she helped strengthen him as a president which benefited the entire nation. Her morals always conflicted with her heart as did his, but he never stalked her. He did what any man would have done when they fall in love with a woman; he went to see her. No one said anything when Eddison Davis visited Liv. He’s important enough to be thrown in the bunker when the POTUS is shot, therefore he must have agents as well. What about the money that is being wasted by them for that? Eighth, If Fitz weren’t family oriented, then how is it that as the POTUS, he cleared entire weekends to spend with his children (not Liv) and was excited about his children coming home from school? Or why would he play with Teddy in the Oval? Give Teddy his final feeding every night like a family oriented father would? Ninth, he’s the POTUS which means that not only does he know every single member of Olivia’s family, birth dates, and possible SSN’s, he most likely knew that Rowan was her father even before we did! Finally, Olivia used her relationship with the president to get her way. Here are just a few examples; Verna Thorton’s appointment to the Supreme Court even though she wasn’t even a consideration in Fitz’s mind. A second SC nominee made by Olivia that Fitz nominated in Season 1 Ep 2. Olivia made Fitz shut down the autopsy on “The Nation’s Pastor”. “You want me EARN ME” was the final threat Olivia made to Fitz. What did he do? He let the clock on his marriage run out to make Olivia happy. To give her what she wanted. Olivia wanted Fitz to run for re-election, He did even though he had no intention on doing such since everyone around him was responsible for making him feel as if he weren’t good enough to be POTUS, including Liv. Olivia wanted Fitz to “run clean” with Mellie by his side. He did. Fitz was Olivia’s puppet and she knew how to pull every string. That is normally how a man acts to a woman he is IN LOVE with.

Oh and to top it all off; IT’S A TV SHOW!! IT’S NOT THE REAL WORLD!! But, in any case, Interpretation is in the head of the beholder……..

10. victoria on October 19, 2013 at 11:00 pm

I loved reading this! I feel like Fitz is obsessed with Olivia and I wish the Shonda (the creator) would spend at least one episode maybe recapping on how Fitz fell in love with her. At first it was a physical and maybe intellectual attraction, but I believe that he doesn’t really know her. I want a recap episode of them in the privacy of her home, when they first met, talking about their likes/dislikes. Otherwise, I still love the show!