Though it’s no longer the latest fad or hottest trend in health and wellness, yoga remains a relatively easy and effective practice that yields maximum results.
Yoga brings together physical and mental disciplines to achieve peacefulness of body and mind, helping you to relax and manage stress and anxiety. Yoga poses or postures are a series of movements designed to increase strength and flexibility. They can range from lying on the floor while completely relaxed to more challenging postures designed to help stretch your physical limits. Controlled breathing is also an important part of yoga. Yoga teaches us that controlling our breathing can help to control our bodies and quiet our minds.
Here are some common benefits of incorporating yoga into your workout regimen:
- Get rid of lower back pain – Posing improves posture and strengthens back muscles.
- Sleep better and longer – Breathing and mental exercises help the mind to slow down so you can fall asleep even faster and rest more peacefully.
- Alleviate stress – Yoga can help reduce stress and anxiety while also enhancing your mood and overall sense of well-being.
- Improved sexual function – Yoga can boost arousal, desire, orgasm and general sexual satisfaction.
- Improved fitness – Yoga can lead to improved balance, flexibility, range of motion and strength. Yoga might also help alleviate chronic conditions, such as depression, pain, anxiety and insomnia.
In closing, yoga prepares your mind and body for long term health and wellness. And isn’t that what we all want in the end?
Tracy Springs is a fitness instructor at LA Fitness. Feel free to contact her at [email protected] with any questions or to set up a fitness appointment at the LA Fitness Waukegan facility