Black Greeks target advertisers who support VH1’s #SororitySisters

Sorority Sisters

VH1 debuted it’s latest reality TV show, “Sorority Sisters,” Monday. The first hearing of this idea raised eyebrows and prompted a petition which garnered 40,000 signatures but it was to no avail. “Sorority Sisters,” which depicts members of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc., Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc., Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority Inc. and Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Inc., who according to VH1.com are “a group of ladies from the most prominent African American sororities. The women meet up in Atlanta to see how deep the sisterhood runs and well, of course, there were already tears and drama.”

Members of the respective organizations are not taking this one sitting down and are refusing to allow their Greek letters to be misrepresented or exploited in the name of entertainment. They are now going after advertisers who support this programming.

After the jump, check out what @alpha1906 posted on social media. He shows his support for the sisterhood by offering a real strategy to prohibit the show from airing future episodes.

Pages: 1 2

1. Chiryder on December 16, 2014 at 11:42 am

Glad someone is taking a stand.

2. Likewaterforchoc on December 16, 2014 at 11:42 am

Full of ish. I have an issue with them seriously taking all these measures to prohibit the embarrassment of these Black “greek” organizations. Yet, when it comes to issues in the community they claim to exist to serve, they have all these concessions regarding “greeks” protesting in support of Eric Garner or Mike Brown.” Don’t wear your letters”, etc. etc.These are REAL issues going on and they are focused on some reality show embrassing or sullying there good names. Basically ALL of the major sororities during my time at my HBCU had been suspended from our college for 1 -4 years due to hazing and other unscrupulous activities. They tried the same crap with the movie “Stomp the Yard.” They get so self-righteous over bs sometimes it makes me want to puke.

• Ericca Brock on December 16, 2014 at 1:04 pm

The call to not wear letters was a directive from Nationals, however, many sorority members went against that call and wore letters to the protest. Secondly do you know of the work and money that these sororities put into their communities?Yes, we have bad apples and yes not everything is done perfectly but those respective national organizations obviously took care because they were not on the yard for 4 years. D9 has focused on the issues and alot of us are protesting and serving our community.

• Likewaterforchoc on December 16, 2014 at 1:20 pm

I really don’t understand the call to NOT represent as organizations in protest when it comes to something this serious in the community. What’s the point? Real talk, these days most people pledge to throw parties, get drunk, get laid, stroll and participate in step shows. There was a little “community service” going on, but seeing it all in college was like an episode of “Mean Girls/Guys.” I was having a happy homecoming this year until one of the “Divine 9” (alumni, no less) wanted to start fighting on the yard because drivers trying to get somewhere were “disrupting their stroll” procession. As far as I have seen, community service is not too much more than a ruse used by these “greeks” to promote their membership agendas and furthermore promote division and derision in the black community.

• Ericca Brock on December 16, 2014 at 3:18 pm

L, I am sorry that you are getting such as bad perception of the D9. The male orgs have been allowed to protest freely (with letters). However, no one but the delta president is allowed to speak for delta. The call was on a decision made through nationals but that does not mean that the body agrees with that decision.The letters that are on these people are not just their own but the organization, think of it like a Visa card. Its yours but we are allowed to consificate it at any time. Yes, real talk people throw parties, get drunk and get laid (humans do that) I do not know what yard you are on but on my yard, I had no problems with the other organizations and a lot of us were close friends throughout college. The reason for organizations are scholarship , service and sisterhood /brotherhood and you get that in numbers. How does a sorority or fraternity do their work or flourish without numbers. Not everyone joins because they that have the best intentions and it seems like you are letting some of these people who are people without these letters , spoil that for you. These organizations stand for great things but its the members who are suppose to show that and from what I am reading you are looking at some people who arent showing that.

• Likewaterforchoc on December 16, 2014 at 3:38 pm

Basically, most of these folks need to work at being better black people to the folks in our community before they focus on being “better Greeks”. I am NOT “greek” and have no desire to watch this show. I don’t think that many will. However, I would loooove to know how many “greeks” petitioned to have LLATL, BBWs or any of these other shows pulled from the air because of the way that it depicts black folks. Having letters does not exempt you from being black and when outsiders see you, they don’t see a “greek” person, they see a black one. The energy focused here on protesting against junk TV is so misdirected, I don’t know where to begin. Here we have issues that are life and death (literally) and these people are going on about some damn ratchet reality TV and having organization “plantationalizing” their members about letters and such.

• mimi on December 17, 2014 at 11:25 am

In the end, if people are willing to protest for a cause that’s personal to them, I say go for it. I don’t watch LLATL, BBW or this sorority show because its negative depiction of black women. That’s also my personal choice. Yes, there are other causes worth fighting for/against and there ARE people fighting for/against them. Just because you’ve had bad experiences witnessing the behavior of “greeks” doesn’t mean people should not protest against the show. Just because there are black men who are criminals, doesn’t mean we shouldn’t protest against the unlawful policing of those who are not. We should hold people responsible who are making money off negative depictions of our culture, even if is “just a show.”

• Mike Jones on December 17, 2014 at 1:27 am

where were these sororities during love and hip hop? Rhoa? Flavor of love? This is a greek issue not a black issue. Ill continue to watch. this interpretation is accurate of how u greek women act.. Thanks

• Ericca Brock on December 17, 2014 at 9:29 am

I believe there was alot of back lash before those shows. However, these women are going on the show with no backing, its them representing themselves.Trying to get fame. Sony, motown, capital records would not have their artist on tv like this. Whatever agent is trying to get a star in Hollywood would not recommend this. Just as we dont recommend them going on using the name as a platform. Go on. just dont take a whole group with you. Its so funny that you say this is an accurate interpretation of how you greek women act. So funny , you dont know me or the sisters I have around me.

• Mike Jones on December 17, 2014 at 12:42 pm

I’m speaking from my interaction in college and post college no one is directing anything towards u. I find it funny these women are rachet and discaceful but they were crossed by someone in your organization. Nothing was said abt k.michelle.. shes no better. Regardless if these women wear the letters publicly or not they still represent your organization. These plantationlized scare tactics your using towards these women are hypocritical and may further damage your sisterhood first image.

• Likewaterforchoc on December 17, 2014 at 11:58 am

Well, if the show DOES get pulled, the members can just mosey on over to another reality TV show and act this way. You know, just like K Michelle did (who has voiced her non-support of THIS particular show but is a willing participant in Mona Scott Young’s other reality shows). Guarantee you won’t hear a peep out of ’em then.

3. Dallas on December 16, 2014 at 2:25 pm

The sad thing about this is that we fight for Black women to be respected and accepted as a greater part of society but some tend to fight agaist us with a lot of rachetness. I respect my sisters now it’s time for them to respect themselves and not sell your soul for the dollar bill. You are worth so much more than that. Mona Scott is definite on my shit list but then as much money she have made off of Black wanna be, I guess she is fine with it. She found her nitch and is definite working it..

4. alpha1906 on December 16, 2014 at 3:35 pm

Hello Yvette, I actually wrote that. Please add my name as the author. Thanks! Lawrence Ross: author of The Divine Nine: History of African American Fraternities and Sororities

5. Chloé Raquel on December 16, 2014 at 3:44 pm

HI Yvette, just seconding that this post was shared hundreds of time on FB, and was originally written by Lawrence Ross. There should be some attribution to him as the source.

6. J'aime Sucer on December 16, 2014 at 10:38 pm

Black rappers , BET – decades of degrading black women. I guess we should be happy that these black “Greek” women finally got a conscious

• DDub on December 17, 2014 at 3:23 pm

What show is LLATL?

• J'aime Sucer on December 17, 2014 at 3:29 pm

I don’t know. I have heard of love and hip hop Atl

7. Patrice on December 18, 2014 at 6:00 pm

This should be a national effort for all sororities. We should stand united as one. It is one thing to disrespect yourself. It is completely another thing to disrespect organizations that are over a hundred years old.