2nd Georgia cop fired: Punched unarmed Black man during traffic stop (video)

michael-bongiavonni

Sgt. Michael Bongiavonni (Gwinnett Police Department)

Gwinnett Police Department Sgt. Michael Bongiavonni has been accused of excessive force during a traffic stop. He was the second cop fired on Thursday, April 13, 2017, for the brutal arrest of Demetrius Bryan Hollins, 21. Hollins was arrested during a traffic stop at the intersection of Sugarloaf Parkway and Lawrenceville-Suwanee Road by Bongiavonni and former master police officer Robert McDonald, who was also fired. McDonald was caught on video by a passerby.

Demetrius Bryan Hollins mugshot (Photo Credit: Gwinnett County Police Department)

Demetrius Bryan Hollins mugshot (Photo credit: Gwinnett County Police Department)

A bloodied Hollins was charged with obstruction of a law enforcement officer, possession of less than an ounce of marijuana and driving on a suspended or revoked license. Other charges include failure to signal, a problem with brake lights and a suspended or revoked registration.

“I ordered Hollins out of the car. He refused, grabbed his phone and literally started to scream, ‘Help me,’ in the phone,” Bongiavonni wrote in a report.

What Bongiavonni didn’t know was that he was being recorded too.

The duo faces potential criminal charges after the traffic stop of Hollins.

Georgia cop fired for stomping handcuffed Black man in the face (video)

1. nosey rosy on April 16, 2017 at 6:33 pm

so they are getting away with what ever they dont get caught doing? they act like they dont have bill and children to pay for , risking their job , on a thug, and yes they can get killed if they dont follow proceedure when frisking or stopping a person , but go back to the manuel and read , cause you cant kick a person you got in hand cuff , you cant beat the hell out of a hand cuff man and hold him to the ground like they did eric garner in new york , a person can have medical issues , and black men dont have a manuel on how to be stopped by cops . its just common sense be nice , respectful, and dont resist, JEZZZZZZ AND YOU GO HOME!! OR TO JAIL .. and whats wrong with going to jail? if you know you got warrants stay the fu..k out of the car driving , cause the people will shoot you just out of fear, they wanna go home . and that split second of being out there alone with a possible killer is scary for most of them . but that is your job

• Jason Stewart on April 16, 2017 at 11:46 pm

He didn’t have cuffs on that person. And all you seen was something that was already in action. That camera was turned on after the altercation began.

• Jason Stewart on April 16, 2017 at 11:48 pm

That is not what happened to Eric garner in New York. Eric Garner refused to be arrested. Eric Garner told the officer I am not letting you arrest me. The world does not work like that. You don’t refuse to be arrested when you are caught committing a crime and they just allow you to walk away. He got himself killed

• Oak510finest on April 17, 2017 at 10:11 am

Oh stop your cave chimp babble!!

• SrAgri on April 17, 2017 at 11:23 am

Stop your racist babble.

• Oak510finest on April 17, 2017 at 11:34 am

• Jason Stewart on April 17, 2017 at 5:00 pm

He can’t. His iq will not allow him to respond intelligently

• Jason Stewart on April 17, 2017 at 4:59 pm

This is the response I expected from a person with an iq of 75.

• Oak510finest on April 17, 2017 at 5:22 pm

So, how long did it take you to bang on the keyboard with your knuckles and type that reply?, lol!!?

• SrAgri on April 17, 2017 at 6:22 pm

More of this? You’re ignorant, racist, and not at all funny.

• Oak510finest on April 17, 2017 at 6:52 pm

I don’t believe you.

2. CBaby23 on April 17, 2017 at 11:45 am

Thank God for cellphones and citizens with the good sense to videotape the police in action. Under no circumstances was this officer’s actions warranted. He even admitted himself that all the man did was yell “help” into his cellphone. I don’t recall being afraid being a crime at all, but definitely not one punishable by a full on assault by armed and trained law enforcement upon an obviously unarmed civilian who is also, obviously, not an immediate threat. The officer at no point in his statement said that he felt threatened by the young man. He was simply perturbed because the man felt intimidated by him and the man did not “obey” him as readily as he would have preferred. WELL… that’s what law enforcement training is for. Exactly such cases. MOST people are intimidated by law enforcement. And, when you consider how many blacks, non-criminals who were not posing a threat, have been beaten, killed, and otherwise harmed by officers who’re supposed to protect and serve us, it’s not unreasonable for this young man to be afraid. I used to LOVE the police. If I got stopped for any reason, I welcomed them openly. Never argued. Engaged in conversation. The whole nine. I loved seeing them drive down the street. Walk. Ride their bikes. I felt safe. I’d even wave. I held them in the highest esteem. Taught my kids to trust them. Now? I drive praying I don’t get stopped. I’m scared to death every minute of the day that somebody I know or love will be the next one dead without just cause. I worry about my grandson and he’s only 13. Great student. Never committed a crime. Good kid. But he’s black. Beautifully so, but it’s a mark against him in today’s society. So, yes, thank God these criminals were caught in their criminal act on camera. The fact that they were fired by their own says it all! I pray criminal charges will follows and a lawsuit. Something has to curtail future dishonorable actions so that good officers don’t continue to suffer for the actions of the bad.

• Oak510finest on April 17, 2017 at 5:33 pm

Yes, well said.

3. SrAgri on April 17, 2017 at 11:47 am

There is also more to this story than Rolling Out is reporting (shocking, I know). These same two officers had arrested Hollins a few months earlier, at which time he started out behaving very similarly, but he also went for a gun (which they prevented him from accessing) and put his car into gear as he got out to try to create a very dangerous diversion.

Bongiovanni should not have punched Hollins, but he might very well have been in fear that Hollins would go for the gun again. McDonald was way out of line in stomping Hollins after he was subdued, though.

The police department acted swiftly in firing both officers. This part of the story is a great model of how police conduct should be handled administratively. No rewatching the video for months, but swift decisive action.

• Oak510finest on April 18, 2017 at 5:33 pm

Thankfully your lies and made up scenario to justify these race soldiers breaking the law no longer works! These race soldiers, people such as yourself and white supremacist media have used tbat excuse for so many decades that it no longer has any value.

That is why you are seeing more and more race soldiers posing as cops fired and or charged for breaking the law. So good riddance to these cancers that make it difficult for the real cops doing their job!