Rolling Out

13-year-old’s iPhone explodes and her pants catch fire

iphonefire

A 13-year-old girl was treated for burns after her iPhone 5C exploded while she was in class. According to a report by KABC in Kennebunk, Maine, the device was in her back pants pocket when it exploded.

After sitting down in class, the girl heard a pop and her classmates saw smoke coming from her pants. Her pants eventually caught on fire and two of her classmates came to her aid as she stopped, dropped and rolled.


Her classmates covered her with a blanket and asked all of the male students to leave the room as she changed her pants. Firefighters were called and the student was rushed to Southern Medical Center where she was treated for burns.

This is not the first time an iPhone has been reported as exploding. In 2011, an iPhone 4 exploded on a passenger who was on an Australian Airline flight.  After several other reports of iPhone and iPod Touches exploding, the European Union launched an investigation.


Apple representatives have yet to respond to the incident.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Join our Newsletter

Sign up for Rolling Out news straight to your inbox.

Read more about:
Also read
Rolling Out