Outrage after 1st Black Miss Alabama calls Dallas shooter a ‘martyr’

Kalyn Chapman James made history in 1993 when she became the first Black Miss Alabama. Now she is gaining new fame after a recent social media post. James took to Facebook this past Sunday after church and expressed her heartache and anger over the shooting deaths of five Dallas police officers and the accused killer Micah Xavier Johnson.

James speaks through tears and states, “I value human life. And I want to feel sad for them but I can’t help but feeling like the shooter was a martyr… I don’t want to feel this way and I know it’s not the right way to feel because nobody deserves to lose their lives. But I’m sick of this.”

James goes on to state, ” …and I know that those police officers had families and people who loved them and that they didn’t deserve to die but I’m so torn up in my heart about seeing these men — these black men — being gunned down in our community that I can’t help, I can’t help but feel like I wasn’t surprised by what the shooter did to those cops and I think a lot of us feel the same way.?

Her words seem to echo the thoughts of many but they have also served to get her suspended from her job as a host at Miami’s Channel WPBT2 TV station. The station released the statement on its Twitter account that says in part “WPBT2 South Florida PBS does not condone the personal statements made by one of its independent contractors regarding the events in Dallas. It placed the contractor on administrative leave while it actively and carefully looks further into the matter and will determine additional course of actions based on its thorough review of the matter.”

Tweets from viewers supported the actions by the station but many feel it did not go far enough and demand her termination. James’ Facebook page is filled with both supporters and detractors for her actions but she is standing by her words and thoughts. Her video has gone viral and has been seen over 300K times.

1. InterestedObserver12 on July 12, 2016 at 11:23 am

If Ms James were to read a recent study by Harvard economics professor Roland G. Fryer Jr., an African American by the way, she would learn that police shoot white people at the same rate they shoot black people. Here’s the link: ‘Surprising New Evidence Shows Bias in Police Use of Force but Not in Shootings,’ New York Times, 7/11/16. http://www.nytimes.com/…/surprising-new-evidence-shows…

• Jason on July 12, 2016 at 6:57 pm

Study the findings all you want, but Blacks feel the way they do because of the history of police violence against Blacks in this country. It goes waayyyyy beyond actual police shootings of uarmed Black people. The few killings of unarmed Blacks are just the icing on the cake for the outrage coming from the Black community.

• InterestedObserver12 on July 12, 2016 at 7:46 pm

Have you watched Ms James’ video, Jason? The woman is conflicted and in tears because she believes the lie that police are shooting black men because they are black. The truth is that police shoot blacks at the same rate they shoot whites.

• Jason on July 12, 2016 at 8:47 pm

Like I said – it ain’t all about unarmed Blacks being killed. The anger stems from DECADES of abuse at the hands of police. Police often assisted the KKK by releasing Blacks into their hands. Black people often had to sit-by while Judges let the killers of family members off scott free. This is not a singular issue.

• Sol Rothstein on July 13, 2016 at 11:38 am

Why not GET YOUR ASS in gear, and make a difference. I as a JEW BLACK MAN…don’t care about your feelings.

GET A JOB, Pay taxes, take care of your children, and STOP DOING CRIME.

Black lives only matter if a WHITE PERSON takes that Black life.

SPEAK on the hundreds of BLACK MEN killed yearly at the hands of other BLACK MEN…

Black on BLACK CRIME is more important than POLICE Brutality in current day.

Sorry but FUCK YOUR FEELINGS…

• Jason on July 13, 2016 at 12:58 pm

OK. “Jew Black” That sums it up. BTW- you can’t even in a dream do any damage to me so #killyourself. I have no feelings for slugs such as you and your kind.
            BTW – I still suspect you are NOTHING but a White Supremacists suspect Jew Black Man.

• Sol Rothstein on July 13, 2016 at 2:33 pm

What is your problem?

Do you read and comprehend. Nobody is talking down to you. I am giving you the answers to life.

• Jason on July 13, 2016 at 4:26 pm

Oh – is that what you call it? How can one as ignorant as you know the “answer” to anything?

2. cupcake333 on July 12, 2016 at 4:17 pm

DID ANYONE FEEL PAIN FOR HUNDREDS OF VIETNAMESE KILLED BY AMERICAN SOLDDIER IN VIETNAM WAR..???? OR WHAT BOUT FAMILIES OF THE HUNDREDS OF BLACK PEOPLE HUNG FROM TREE WHILE YOU CAN SEE FECES RUNNING FROM THE BODIES EYES POPPIN OUT .AND BLOOD ON LEAVES? or the black man in omaha nebraska dragged to death behind a truck til his skin separated FROM his bodie while he was dosed wit gas fried to death all these since less killing all you gotta do is get on you ttube . im glad young white kds see this cause they will stop racism blacks cant do it .. children born after 1985 will be who stop the clock ..on racism i pity any one who kill BUT MICAH J WAS NO DAM DIFFERENT THEN A WHITE COP WHO HAVE KILLED ..black men senseless they more exposur cause their cops. HE IS the product of a flawed miltary scam . . he was not treat for mental illness and he should have been since he was miltary retuning from war not just anyone black . he was one who has served and protected yet killed for doing what he was trained on……..it time to discuss soldiers mental state post war

• Sol Rothstein on July 13, 2016 at 11:40 am

Love and Peace is the answer.

3. cupcake333 on July 12, 2016 at 4:34 pm

SHES NOT WRONG WE ALL FEEL THIS WAY WHAT MAKES MICAH JOHNSON
    A vegelante is the same rage white supremist have, about black lives matter… people believe whatt tthey believe micha j was a product robot of our country miltary we send these boy over seas to kill innocent vietnames , arabs have familes over there kids to killed cause a soldier though a child was a threat,,and killed a kid many afgan families were killed no one discuss this it clear our soldier need help when coming from war,, if they had gave micah j his medication instead a job he would been different many micha outthere

4. The Truth on July 13, 2016 at 8:28 pm

Kalyn James, I understand what you’re saying. I’m from Birmingham, Alabama born and raised until the age of 11, after the killings and bombing of the 16th street Baptist church and my friend Addie mae Collins were killed. My mother said, they are killing children…we will be moving up north. I’ve seen some terrible things in Alabama, the way my people were treated, you can’t help but feel anger. Only thing I can tell you is pray and put your trust in ‘GOD’ and know he don’t sleep, he see everything. To all the people who have lost their lives from these terrorist acts, may they R.I.P.

5. Miss B Fresh on July 18, 2016 at 3:12 pm