Wendy Williams says it’s racist to call a White woman ‘Becky’

Photo credit: Wendy Williams via Youtube screenshot

Photo credit: Wendy Williams, YouTube screenshot

Beyoncé’s “Becky with the good hair” lyric from her Lemonade album is still stirring up trouble. Wendy Williams is now saying that calling a White woman Becky is racist.

On Thursday, Williams said to her talk show audience, “Becky is, to me, a slur against White women, and if I were you all, I wouldn’t take it. I wouldn’t.”

She was speaking about rapper Iggy Azalea, who had been roasted this week after she sent out tweets saying it’s not OK to call White women Becky.

“Don’t ever call me becky,” Azalea tweeted.

“You would not be down if I started calling all Black men ‘Deshawns,'” she continued.

Becky has been known as a term some Black people use to describe a White woman for several years, since many women named Becky happen to be White. But Williams agreed with Azalea that the name shouldn’t be used, and that Black people wouldn’t be happy if the shoe was on the other foot.

Well you know, in Beyoncé’s song ‘Lemonade,’ she says ‘Becky with the good hair.’ And I said earlier this week that Becky is not a nice term; I find it offensive for you White women,” Williams said. “No. I do. If you called me Shaniqua, I’d punch you in the face, OK? Becky?!”

There is still heavy speculation over who “Becky” is. The line seemed to be referring to a woman who Beyoncé’s husband, Jay Z, may have had an affair with. The singer’s fans have accused designer Rachel Roy and singer Rita Ora of possibly being the culprit. Roy and Ora have denied the allegations.

Now, Karrine “Superhead” Steffans is attempting to get some publicity off the rumors. She recently said she was once Jay Z’s “Becky” before he married Beyoncé.

“Over 15 years ago, I had Beyoncé’s husband,” Steffans wrote in a XOJane essay. “Yes, I was one of Jay Z’s Beckys back in the year 2000 for about three minutes, which is about as long it takes me to satisfy a man in the back of a Maybach while overlooking the beaches of Malibu, [California].”

Do you think it’s racist to call a White woman “Becky?”

1. [email protected] on April 30, 2016 at 5:18 pm

Wendy Williams would say ANYTHING that she thinks will make her another buck. She’s fake, but she’s honest about how fake she is…come on people…consider the source

2. Jason on April 30, 2016 at 9:30 pm

These dumb celebrities need to educate themselves about the meaning of racism. Black people can’t be racists.

• WHaleWillie on May 2, 2016 at 12:29 pm

JAson brotha, ta say d’at we niggas cant be racist be TOm FOolery! I’Se let da term honkey o’ whitie slip all da time. DOnt hate ’em, just dumb ass common talk. AT da end o’ da day, if d’ey be pipin’ WIllie, I’Se dont care what culla! I’Se return the fava with to thumbs up da lovely ole poop shute! AS fa’ as callin’ a white lady BEcky, be fair an’ call all ladies includin’ da caspas hoe!

YO WEndy WIlliams, yo give me da creeps. GO back to yo trans genda crib an’ admit ya gots man pipes unda d’at d’otty skirt! EVery time I’Se see a news story ’bout her WIllie here looses wood.

REminds me o’ da time I’Se was a janito’ at an advertisin’ place. BRuce JEnna walks in ta do da famous WHeeties BOx photo shoot. D’Ey had to send him back 9 times ’cause he keeps puttin’ on a differn’t dress. I’Se say, d’is dude be acdc, but no one list’n ta WIllie. SHo’ ’nuff years latta he now a he/she. MAke me wanna toss up da pint o’ UNcle BObo’s moonshine I just drunks!

GOtsa clear ma mind an’ t’ink o’ good times. DAmn had some gone ones with CHris ROck, up until he got turn’d inta choco flap jacks by nun otha d’en supa size KEvin JAmes. HOpe yo choke on yo next bakers dozen!

CHaz BOno, yo can kiss ma left nut. ON seconds tho’t neva mind!

• 1_SPJ40 on May 2, 2016 at 7:56 pm

English please! Some of us Black folk are not about that plantation life! No disrespect to those who COULD NOT seek an education after 1865!!!

• J Freedom on May 3, 2016 at 8:45 pm

Does SPJ stand for slut pig Jenny? Girl, give the man a break. Not every orreo has sucked on the white woman’s teet!

• Jason on May 2, 2016 at 9:03 pm

#killyourself

3. Jazzman450 on May 1, 2016 at 1:43 am

Really Wendy Williams?! You are an idiot!

4. CosmoBeauty on May 1, 2016 at 4:02 am

Wendell Williams wanna be white man so bad!??

5. 1_SPJ40 on May 2, 2016 at 8:00 pm

I’m mad she let the Becky code out of the bag! Damn, when white folks were making fun of the name of “Shekeisha” no one batted an eye, and Wendall didn’t speak a word about it, but she was quick to kiss Becky’s azz on this one!

6. Niecy on May 2, 2016 at 9:09 pm

Shut Up Wendy!!! Black women are called many names worst than Becky from white folks.

• Robert Williams on May 6, 2016 at 11:09 pm

I’ve only used given names. If Shaniqua and Jaconista (yes, those are names I know) are names worse than Becky, then I apologize that their parents names them that.

7. Charli on May 3, 2016 at 3:01 pm

Wendy is such a Beyoncé hater! Face it Wendy, Beyoncé can’t help being born beautiful and talented. You should be celebrating her instead of looking for any opportunity (crabs in a barrel) to tear her or something she said down. Who said Becky with the good hair is white? Come on Wendy, refocus, celebrate your sistah instead of being a part of the tear-down brigade.