Black Girls Rock! — the annual award show created by Beverly Bond to honor and celebrate extraordinary Black women — will return to BET Sunday, Sept. 9, at 8 p.m. (EST). The event will be hosted by none other than a true queen, Queen Latifah, and viewers can already expect royalty to reign supreme throughout the evening.
Fans also can expect another inspirational celebration of several phenomenal Black women of our time. These amazing women are being honored as pioneers, trailblazers and change-makers and for making an impact not only on their communities but also the world. This year’s honorees include:
- Rock Star Award: Entertainer extraordinaire Janet Jackson
- Star Power Award: R&B singer Mary J. Blige
- Living Legend Award: Iconic dancer and choreographer Judith Jamison
- Black Girl Magic Award: Supermodel Naomi Campbell,
- Shot Caller Award: Actress Lena Waithe
- Community Change Agent Award: Community activist instrumental in the #MeToo movement Tarana Burke
We caught up with celebrities on the red carpet before this year’s show to get a glimpse at the fashions they were wearing. Many were absolutely stunning and shined bright like a diamond. We’ll let you be the judge. Check them out, and let us know what you think. Leave your remarks in the comments.